How far down can YOU go before you need to equalize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess a lot of people here have gotten the wrong idea that I was trying to see how deep I could go without equalizing instead of reading carefully and understanding that it was something I found out by accident.

ANYWAY, I did a practice session in another pool today. Bottom was about 4 metres deep. I equalized at least twice as was usual for previous dives in the same pool but there wasn't any difference whether I blew / swallowed or not.

The whole point of my initial post was whether I should be worried about not feeling anything. About whether it's possible to have suffered ear damage without realizing it.

I am rarely conscious of equalization... it just seems to happen automatically and I don't have to consciously do it. But then I mostly live in the water!

I don't know and don't think I want to find out. I equalize early, I over pressurize before descending. They are some limits I don't need to know. I just dive safe.

Like DivemasterD, I just don't think about it. I also agree with those that say it can vary (slightly at least, with me) on different dives. If my natural "no movement, just doing it internally, naturally" doesn't work the odd time, I will feel a little pressure (no pain ever) and will in fact swallow. I do think everyone is different. I have had no problems yet doing what I do. Needless to say, any kind of congestion from a cold messes everything up, and probably does for everyone.

Ok, let's hear it from the divers here because I went snorkelling in a diving pool last night and found it weird that I could happily and comfortably go down to 5 metres without having to equalize...//...

Your status at the time of my posting is "Wants to be a instructor one day". You asked a question about an observation that most new divers just ignore. You may, indeed, be instructor material.

On the surface:

Put an index finger firmly into each ear. Move your jaw (lower mandible) to the right and left. Note how this feels.

Next swallow while listening for the "crinkling" sound in your ears.

Remove your fingers and pinch your nose closed while attempting to very lightly pressurize your ears.

Repeat the light pressurization while swallowing.

You have all the pieces and an active mind, have fun...

Ok, let's hear it from the divers here because I went snorkelling in a diving pool last night and found it weird that I could happily and comfortably go down to 5 metres without having to equalize but I have been swimming in that very same pool before and it sure hurt like hell when I went down to the bottom with just a diving mask and fins. I did it about 5 - 6 times and didn't feel the need to equalize at all. Didn't hurt, didn't feel uncomfortable. My hearing's fine and I'm not sick. Should I be worried?
No reason to be worried. And, no reason not to equalize - just like voting in an election, you should do it early and often. I will start within 5 feet after I begin to descend.

Long before I learned to dive, I was convinced that I could not be a diver - if I tried to swim to the bottom of a 10-12 ft pool, my ears would hurt, a lot. Fortunately, I decided to at least try scuba, and quickly learned that I had been ignorant about equalizing.

No reason to be worried. And, no reason not to equalize - just like voting in an election, you should do it early and often. I will start within 5 feet after I begin to descend.

Long before I learned to dive, I was convinced that I could not be a diver - if I tried to swim to the bottom of a 10-12 ft pool, my ears would hurt, a lot. Fortunately, I decided to at least try scuba, and quickly learned that I had been ignorant about equalizing.

When we were little kids my brother dove in the local swimming hole wearing goggles and ruptured an ear drum. Since then he has never expressed the least interest in learning to dive. He confines his water activities to kayaking, sailing and fishing.

I used to have trouble clearing and felt like I had to blow too hard during a Valsalva Maneuver. I finally found that if I removed my reg and closed my teeth, a regular swallow or Valsalva easily cleared my ears. Now, I usually have to start clearing around 10' and continue until about 50' but it is quick and easy.

I've never tried to see how far I could go before I had problems. So far, I've always equalized before I felt any discomfort.

Great answer. Clear early and often.

If you are offended by anything in this post, then my efforts have been rewarded. :D Tapatalk+Autocorrect

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom