How far in advance to reserve for Key Largo diving (January)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lee, you *cough cough* sound like you might need to call in sick for an extra week :)

Lee, you *cough cough* sound like you might need to call in sick for an extra week :)

Hell Kelli, I swear; If I had not been on vacation for the past month I would... however, I do feel a sniffle coming on... :wink:

Thanks to all who posted with your kind words and support. In the 10 years we've owned Conch Republic Divers we have never lost a single diver on our boats and I give that perfect record to God's blessings over us.

Now back on topic.

Ktkt....Here's some answers to your questions and I may reiterate what others have mentioned.

Double night dives.... No one I know does a double night dive. Our crews would mutiny if they would have to drive the boat all day and then again at night. What we have done, as in yesterday, is a three tank where the last dive is a night dive. Those are rarer than just doing a one tank night dive.

Reservations......As mention in a previous post you can watch the calendars of those that have it posted online, to see what we've got going on. The schedule on my site, as well as those mentioned, is real time so you won't have to worry about a calendar that someone forgot to update at the last minute. If you see a dive you like either book it online or phone. On our calendar if you see a customer choice you get to pick the dive location.

January is not that busy so the dive ops will have plenty of room and no need to worry about getting a spot. However during those slow times some operators may not be going out at all and you risk the dive trip being canceled, so always ask how many they have booked on the boat. You can see this on our calendars by clicking on the dive and looking at the upper right hand corner. It will tell you how many slots are left for that boat. If you know the max they take on their boats you can figure out how many divers are on that trip. We run with 30 divers on our 46' newton and a max of 10 (gives you more room) on our 30' island hopper. Of course you can always just ask us too:D

Lodging.....Also whoever you dive with be sure to ask about lodging specials. Most operators can save you a few buck with hotels they work with.

Hope you have a great time here in the Keys and would love to meet you. Even if you don't dive with us but have any other questions about the Keys, please don't hesitate to email, pm, or call me.

Good Diving,

The only time I ever missed a dive with my primary choice was because I did not book in advance for a weekend when the ops are busier. I was able to go out with my secondary choice and in Key Largo there are lots of secondaries to be had. I would guess that a week in advance for a weekend day would be more then enough.

Just to follow up -- I'll be out with Ocean Divers through Monday, and then Silent World the next six days. Wish me lots of fishes :)

I hope so too! We barely made it out today -- boat trouble cancelled the morning trip, and then the second person booked in the afternoon cancelled, so there was just me left with a nearly broken heart... But then I suggested we call a couple of divers who had been there in the morning, and we got them to come out so I could dive. We had the Duane and then Molasses all to ourselves. I struggled with the current some, so our wreck dive was shorter than I'd hoped (after a month or so out of the water, I always need a reacclimation dive to remember how to breathe). Super swimthroughs, and we came upon a shark resting on the deck at one point :) Molasses was very surge-y, but we found some very nice stuff, including a juvenile drumfish and a nice little filefish.I bought more dive trips than I planned, so I'm trying to make up for it moneywise by eating sandwiches at the hotel, but perhaps I can catch some of you for drinks or appetizers soon :)

Sure hope you get your fill... but somehow I doubt it!!! :) lee

Do any of the operators do 2-tank night trips (well, probably one twilight and one night)?

(Edit: other than Silent World's double dips on the wrecks, I mean. I'm thinking more of longer/shallower reef dives.)

We booked several dive days with Silent World this past summer and inquired with them about doing a dusk/night dive for the four of us to end our week of diving. Chris took us out to The City of Washington. We hooped in the pool at dusk, came up after dark, changed tanks and two of us jumped back in for a spectacular night dive. Lots to see down there after dark:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom