How far in advance to reserve for Key Largo diving (January)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The weather is keeping me on shore this weekend. :D Good luck and I hope it calms down for you!

Apparently you're not the only one -- nobody else signed up for the night dive tonight, so it didn't run. Anyway, I thought today was pretty nice, definitely better that yesterday. Crossing my fingers for minimal current on the Duane and the Spiegel tomorrow!

I'm planning on flying to dive the Keys in Feb. What are the odds of having weather problems?

It's still "winter" here until the end of March when things quieten down. Seas can be silly flat or stupid angry and everything inbetween. If you come for only a weekend, your chances aren't that good. If you come for a week, they are substantially better.

I only planned 3 days to do AOW and Nitrox class... I'm a little worried I'll spend all that vacation time and money for bad weather. Is there a bay or spring that's a possible backup?

So far, just about all of Jan has been pretty awful, seas wise. Then again, as someone else said there are days you'd think it was June. As for advance reservations, you can pretty much call the shots as January is very slow for SCUBA. As a matter of fact, many of us can't even come up with the minimum and find ourselves calling around to accommodate our diving guests.

I only planned 3 days to do AOW and Nitrox class... I'm a little worried I'll spend all that vacation time and money for bad weather. Is there a bay or spring that's a possible backup?
NitrOx will be easy to do. AOW, especially the deep and wreck specialties depend on good weather. Of course, in the case of inclement weather, there are other fun things to do.

Yes we have a couple of alternative shore dives, Pennekamp Park's Cannon Beach, max depth 18 ft, and Emerald Lagoon at Jules Undersea Lodge, max depth 22 ft. Both sites are used often for shallow training dives. In AOW, navigation, bouyancy.

Unfotuntely, weather, high winds & sporty seas, is an uncontrollable factor that affects our livelihoods & your vacations here in the Keys.

Do let us know when you are here, maybe meetup for a :cheers:. :)

Happy Diving!
Elena

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom