How fast do you swim in the cave?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of my dive buddies did the TDI CCR Intro Cave, his limited was based on his bailout, and gold line only no navigation.

I figure you could give them something like "Bailout distance, or 1,000 feet whichever is shorter"

Unfortunately this just leads to people bringing huge BOs and getting beyond the cave they know. And the distance thing only really works in FL where you are have all the tourist arrows marked every 100ft - and its all recreational depths. The rest of the world doesnt do the 100ft line arrow thing and in many places you end up deeper much faster too

Unfortunately this just leads to people bringing huge BOs and getting beyond the cave they know. And the distance thing only really works in FL where you are have all the tourist arrows marked every 100ft - and its all recreational depths. The rest of the world doesnt do the 100ft line arrow thing and in many places you end up deeper much faster too
Hey my lp120s practically swim themselves :wink:

Well Mexico seems to be changing, if approved by the line committee all arrows will have distance to the exit that they point to labeled on them. Mayan Blue is the test site for this change, it was really convenient. The only system where I knew exactly where I was.

Well that's a giant red flag :/

I knew how to get to the exit, but if you asked me to point on the map where I was at any particular moment I couldn't help say for sure. Knowing the distance really helps particularly with newer systems not having any names on the maps.

Of course with Mexico being a spider web of jumps, and having dozens of systems to dive you just don't get the same familiarity as I have with Florida caves.

Well that's a giant red flag :/

To be fair, I think he is referring to saying 'I know I am exactly X into this cave'..Not a guestimate based on time/swim speed or measuring distance on a map and saying this jump is X from the door.

In Florida you can find exactly how far into a system you swam. In Mexico, it's a more of a guestimate based on did we pass this cenote entrace, did we reach this jump, how much time did we spend swimming after reaching X..ok, we were about here on the map.

2020 is over. It's a new year, let's be a little less uptight .

Personally I’m glad the arrows are there and that they’re marked. I am one of those types who likes to (try to!!) visualize where I am on the map, just like I enjoy visualizing a building going up from a set of drawings. Obviously as I get more familiar with the different caves I’ll be able to do that better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom