How fit are you for a Rescue ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nope, not at all. I totally understand the pointA in general and specifically about not becoming a second victim. But as NetDoc pointed out, the best way to deal with deal with accidents is to PREVENT them. Even more so as a tech diver. And that has little if anything to do with physical fitness.

It's been some years since I took my rescue class but here were my takeaways in order of importance:
1. Prevention - conceptual, discussed above
2. Better 1 victim than 2 - conceptual
3. What to think about when determining whether to make a rescue attempt - again, CONCEPTUAL
4. Skills for rescue attempts

Years later the concepts from the first three takeaways stick with me. In fairness, probably better than the specific skills I learned in the class (I've gotten additional training since then).

Which is why I and others are questioning why you feel the need to be in peak physical shape before taking rescue classes. The primary things one should take away from the class are knowledge-related. Admittedly, the fourth could be impacted by physical fitness, but it could be argued if one wasn't in decent enough shape to get what they need out of a rescue class, they shouldn't be tech diving.

I agree with you, but I think all are missing the point of the video, it is about not becoming the second victim, rule #1 in Rescue.

Like you mention it is not only about diving, it apply to any regular water activities, how in shape are you to do it successfully.

And if one get to do a rescue, it is more for recreational conditions and Lite-Deco's.

Once you get in Tec diving you know you are signing in for a lot of risk involved, where it can come to make those hard decisions on should I surface and play dices or not

Tec diving as well teach you not to enter in those situations or foresee them and press the abort bottom before you get that far, and nobody will ask questions.

Technical shore dives are for the most part far from shore, so there is not only the Deco obligations that you can decide to blowout, is the distance to shore, if it is a Boat dive that makes it easy, yes you may can decide to blowout your Deco, or send the Yellow SMB and hope somebody see it quickly enough to take over and avoid being second victim.

It reminds me of a Dutch/South African diver, famous for discovering the Coelacanth, where his long time buddy ran for the surface ( under unknown circumstances ) and he followed to help her get onboard and try to help with CPR, he died next to her, that was as well a deep dive, with bad surface logistics.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going back to the essence of the video

The question is more for the Rec divers and Instructors ( which I see a lot that they don't keep them self to the recommended shape in what a Diver shall be ) they are the ones that will encounter more rescue scenarios than a Tec diver.

I agree with the part of knowledge of the Rescue course, but one lack of fitment can actually contribute too two tragedies, your self and that person that you wanted to rescue, because you kill your self by overexerting you and fail to rescue that person that may could had been rescued if you were in shape, or that you were to slow to get to shore.

How I see it and believe the point of Mark and Tim video is, is to pay attention on your body and keep your self in shape to not become the second victim and be quick in the rescue, and all are missing the point of the video I believe.

Knowing to foresee the problem before it happen, do CPR, bring a victim from the bottom, is the easy part of the course, going long distance and fast enough and then start CPR is another part and the tough one

It's about being the complete package, and do your best to keep your self that way as much as health and age allows you too, in order to successfully rescue a person and don't become the second victim once you go for that rescue.

but it could be argued if one wasn't in decent enough shape to get what they need out of a rescue class, they shouldn't be tech diving.

Tec diving is not exactly a physical activity, you actually want to take it slow, you want to be in good shape so you keep you breathing rate under control in case it gets rough, but you will never see a tec diving doing 400 yards surface like exertion at 50+m below, that is exactly what they teach you not to do.

I don't feel I'm in top shape to not be gasping air at the end of the 800m, I have nothing to hide, and I do like to take the course as described, there is a purpose to it. I actually don't even know what will be the exertion rate and pace of diving one need to have to reach the 800m under 17min.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are not the conceptual aspects more common sense things, those things you already knew but the Course helps you to have a more mind set for them ?

Last edited:
I'm confused. Are we talking about the requirements for a Rescue course or a Divemaster course? These sound like Divemaster to me.

I don't feel I'm in top shape to not be gasping air at the end of the 800m, I have nothing to hide, and I do like to take the course as described, there is a purpose to it. I actually don't even know what will be the exertion rate and pace of diving one need to have to reach the 800m under 17min.

My wife and I are going to pursue the DM path and have the rescue class queued up to take in May. Partly motivated by the DM path, but moreso motivated by the fact that we are typically eachothers buddy, and we would do whatever it takes to rescue each other (at least until she remebers all the life insurance).

I knew the physical requirements were demanding, but the video reinforces that fact (thanks...I think). I need to get my ass in shape especially with cardio. As far as the training, Im not so worried about the 800yd swim with mask snorkle fins, but the 400yd free within time has me a little concerned. My wife is a long distance (10k+) openwater swimmer and competitive indoor swimmer, so the bet stands that if I manage to make my time, she is going to complete hers as a either a 400yd individual medly or all butterfly. Otherwise she will have it knocked out in a couple minutes swimming freestyle.
Both of us, being in insurance and financial planning and risk mitigation, do think of the liability factor a lot. Reading into the policy, I believe our personal umbrella policy will cover if there is no shop E&O covering us at the time and some shrewd lawyer pierces the veil of performing in good faith as a good Samaritan.
Different policies will vary of course.

Don't stress about the swim test. I have had 1 swimming lesson in my entire life (I floated into the deep end of the pool when I was kid, didn't drown, and therefore didn't "need" swimming lessons according to my parents). My technique is horrible, and I look like a thrashing shark caught in a fishing net, but I still managed a 3.

I'm confused. Are we talking about the requirements for a Rescue course or a Divemaster course? These sound like Divemaster to me.

It is rescue, the Divemaster standards is a good measuring point, if you can do that you can rescue basically any body under 15min CPR included under almost any circumstances, and you shouldn't use shore help.

SDI ask you for 50m only, but there are Instructors that want you to do more, which I respect it makes sense, you will earn it.

It is rescue, the Divemaster standards is a good measuring point, if you can do that you can rescue basically any body under 15min CPR included under almost any circumstances, and you shouldn't use shore help.

SDI ask you for 50m only, but there are Instructors that want you to do more, which I respect it makes sense, you will earn it.

Okay, I'm only familiar with PADI. I don't recall there being any timing requirement in my PADI Rescue course. If there was, then it was generous. Everyone in my class passed, regardless of how fast or slow we performed the exercises. The point was to learn how to perform them.

Swimming 800m in 17 minutes in a pool is very different than towing a diver while maintaining an open (dry) airway and giving rescue breaths and stripping their gear and dealing with a current or waves. Also I'm going to assume you meant "shouldnt need to use shore help when practicing", because otherwise that's just silly...

Don't get me wrong here, physical fitness always is a good thing! In my opinion though, knowing what to do and how to do it will make you more effective in a rescue than the champion swimmer who hasn't had any training. Keep in mind too that the rescue class isn't just about divers who are unconcious in the water, there's a lot about accident prevention and solving situations with responsive divers.

P.S. I gave you the benefit of the doubt and assumed you meant 'rescue breaths' and not 'CPR'.

Nothing wrong with that, is how each Instructor wants to approach it.

I have 2 options, normal course, or 100m both ways ( 200m Total ), I'm aiming for 100m, if I can do the 800m under 17min ( Divemaster standard but with any of swimming style ) which was the recommendation I got and heard this in different occasions from different instructors, then I do the 100m but I don't want to conform my self with the 50m, so i have to bring my self to top shape.

Both ways means one way by your self the return way with the victim, you shall do it under 15min, the point of it is judging distance in the water and knowing your limits, by your conditions.

Nobody shall attempt a rescue beyond 100m anyway ( not necessarily a diver unconscious ) unless in very good condition, even more with a conscious panicking victim , which is the one that can drown you.

All persons that I have spoken, that had done Rescue course, have the same story, best course ever, but brutally exhausting, I don't think it is a coincidence that all say "exhausting".

Finding that video of the OP, shows me that I decided correctly, to put my self in better shape that I 'am now before I attempt the Rescue Course.

Last edited:
Swimming 800m in 17 minutes in a pool is very different than towing a diver while maintaining an open (dry) airway and giving rescue breaths and stripping their gear and dealing with a current or waves. Also I'm going to assume you meant "shouldnt need to use shore help when practicing", because otherwise that's just silly...

P.S. I gave you the benefit of the doubt and assumed you meant 'rescue breaths' and not 'CPR'.

Yes without using anybody to help you dragging the victim to shore ( in to the sand ) and I meant CPR.

I felt Rescue was "exhausting" because the day--or at least the final day of the course--was packed with exercises, one right after the other. As I recall, no one exercise by itself was particularly physically demanding for anyone in reasonable shape. It was just a long day, and by the end of the day I was indeed exhausted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom