How fragile are fiber optic sync cords

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arew+4

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just upgraded to digital system and added an Inon D-200. The fiber optic cable seems fragile to me. How often do these things tend to fail? How tight of a bend can they make before they lose signal, the pig tail portion is pretty tight and fairly long but I'm guessing it was heat formed. Do they tend to fail at the connectors or in the pig tail?

TIA,
Andy

I’ve used fiber optic cords for several years on my camera system without any issues. They can bend quite a bit but I try to route them to reduce the amount of bending.

They are quite fragile and fail frequently. Always have a spare.

Search SB for threads on DIY replacement option that cost 1/20th the price and may work better.

Well depends on what you mean by fragile and what type of cable. A typical plastic (PMMA) cable has a pull strength to 5% elongation of like 40 lbs. That is tough stuff and can be flexed (quarter bend) 10,000 times for a loss of 1 dB. But if you bend a large single core fiber over a sharp corner you will have trouble. 1mm fiber has a bend radius of about an inch for a half dB (10% more or less) loss in signal. For bigger core fibers the diameter gets bigger (2 mm has a bend radius of 45 mm) for the same 10% loss. The big advantage of the multi-core fibers is that they can be bent over a 1mm radius and still transmit 95% of the light. I haven't put any of my fibers into an Instron machine to see how hard it is to pull one apart, but I suspect it will be very difficult. I have never broken a cable in half in more than 1500 dives, but I have seen cables get pinched so that they stopped transmitting. if that happens cut off the pinch part and you should be good to go.
Even if they are tough, Dave's advice is correct, always carry a spare and if you roll your own carrying a few spares doesn't cost much.
Bill

It's more the bend/kink I worry about, but I suppose a snag could apply some heavy instantaneous loads. I think I'll take a shot at some DIY cables since I've got 6 months till I'll be getting it wet.

Do would you recommend single or multi strand cable? I'm guessing the Inon one is multi based on the tightness of the coiled section.

They get bent and kinked now and again and stop working. Or you have my problem where stellar sealions bite them into pieces. I lost 3 cables one weekend to stellars! That is when I started making cheap DIY cables.

This is the fiber I am using now with great results. Order the 2mm thickness.

5m Black Plastic Pmma End Glow Fiber Optic Cable Light Inner Diameter 1mm-6mm | eBay

Hornby Is Jan 25 2018 (249 of 255)-Edit-Edit.jpg

Great shot of the sea lions. We don't have any Stellar's here just the California ones but they seem just as curious.
Bill

If you are using the on board flash for your camera then single strand is fine but you can't coil them easily. If you are using an LED trigger then you will need multi-core. Single core is lots cheaper and for Inon strobes should be just fine.
Bill

always keep spares. I just purchased a set of Nauticam cables and Backscatter and was delighted to see they are making them now thicker. I've broken several while on trips and it sucks.

Yes, fiber optic cables are subject to breakage and it's not difficult to break fiber optic cables. Many of the divers I associate with build their own to avoid paying premium prices for replacements. Some don't worry about building their cables with coils.

I have one older Nauticam housing that requires use of fiber optic cables as it has no strobe bulkhead. When this housing is being used, I always have backup cables available.

-AZTinman

Back
Top Bottom