How great is the risk (in your perception)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While we're on the subject of cave bailout and safety bottles, an important consideration is to have a large amount of gas on your person. Depth will dictate bottle size to some degree, with distance also being an obviously important factor, but in general 85s-120s are appropriate. 2 of em. Shallow stuff can be done with al80s or lp50s. Still... 2 of em!

Then add in al80 safeties as needed.

I would venture a guess that more than half the active CCR divers out there will never do a 300’ dive, most will never see 500’.

For me the risk is mitigated with excellent training, practice of vital skills (bailout, SCR mode, trim and buoyancy), and a near zealous obedience to certain rules (never start a dive with a known failure, always have enough gas to get you out of the water safely).

Once you decide that you don’t have to follow the rules, you’re already potentially dead, you just don’t know it yet. Of course, I’ve seen CCR divers who do a full written checklist every time, and they still screw up.

Do I take risks? Of course. But they are calculated risks, where I do as much as I can to account for the risks and prepare for them. Some risks I don’t take. My wife has requested that I don’t do solo rebreather night dives. I try to respect that and be out of the water before dark if I’m solo.

To each their own. I know for a fact that I do certain dives that other divers won’t do. Everyone has their own lever of acceptable risk.

Sinbad....sometimes I think you post just to stir the pot. You do a good job.

Sinbad....sometimes I think you post just to stir the pot. You do a good job.

Sometimes. Not this time.

If that is the case then you have answered your own questions. The risk is too great for you.

True. Besides the risk, overall cost vs benefit equation for CCR is not making it a favorable option for me at this particular time in my diving. Unlike a few extremely critical voices here, I do not look down upon it as something risky and irrational though. I am open to it.

I remember the time when I promised myself I am not getting into tech. After looking at the cost vs benefit I told myself, "It is not a favorable option for me at this particular time in my diving." See how quickly that changed? So dont be surprised if you find me on a boat with a rebreather.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom