How high elevation is the Malahat section of the Trans-Canada Highway?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Noob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499

Is it safe to drive from Nanaimo to Victoria after a couple of deep dives (safe from any type of DCS)? Just wondering what everyone else thinks. I'm sure it's pretty safe. I've done it before multiple times with no issues after maybe an hour or two surface interval.

Is it safe to drive from Nanaimo to Victoria after a couple of deep dives (safe from any type of DCS)? Just wondering what everyone else thinks. I'm sure it's pretty safe. I've done it before multiple times with no issues after maybe an hour or two surface interval.

356 metres (1,156 ft)

The only way to be completely safe from any type of DCS is not to dive. You are however relatively safe :wink:

You beat me to it, Dave. I can't count how many trips I've made over the malahat after some solid dives in nanaimo, "your mileage may differ".......

I've driven the Coquihalla and flown out from YVR after deep dives. I'm sure it's safe.

I'm wondering why you thought to ask the question if you've already done this multiple times? Been listening to an LDS type lately? Remember, if you heard it from a dive shop it's probably wrong.

When I did my PADI Deep course I asked my instructor about this subject because I have a 1,444 meter pass to drive over coming home. My instructor (a PADI RecTec instructor) said not to ascend more than 1000 feet for 18 hours. Two years ago when I was doing my AOW, in a different location, my instructor told me the same thing.

Thanks. I was hearing from people that it was 3000ft, and I thought that it seemed a little high. From other forums, anything under 3000ft seems to be fine, but better to be safe.

When I did my PADI Deep course I asked my instructor about this subject because I have a 1,444 meter pass to drive over coming home. My instructor (a PADI RecTec instructor) said not to ascend more than 1000 feet for 18 hours. Two years ago when I was doing my AOW, in a different location, my instructor told me the same thing.

Of course neither one is based on any sort of science.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom