How I almost drowned -- twice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two years+ later...OP here, thought I would give an update:

Quite a few things have changed in the two+ years. I am now up to nearly 500 dives, we now live part-time in Indo and we have been diving in Raja Ampat a number of times. We have gotten quite a bit more comfortable with high-current dives, to the point that we seek them out sometimes - and, we have become friends with some of you that responded originally! Nice, that.

We have been back to Cape Kri maybe five times since the event. Two or three of those times, there was no current and it was "like any other dive site". (My heart still pounded a bit more, though). We have been down to see the sweet lips on several occasions - they are at just over 100 ft. I have become friendly with one of the DMs from the original event who gave me his take. He still remembers the event with a bit of a shudder.

The proper way to dive the site is to go in at slack, wait for the current to build (you can see the fish begin to assemble) and then hook in. DEFINITELY get out before the current gets too high! (This is where local knowledge is essential!) If you wait too long, you will get caught in the downcurrent as we did. We've done it a few times the proper way with good guidance and it was awesome! Tons of fish lined up, and then here come the sharks! Unhook, do your S/S in the blue, and it's great.

What has changed for me, besides many more dives and much more comfort with current: (1) We took GUE Fundies, and even though we did not pass we practiced buoyancy so much, and got our equipment squared-away, so we are far more comfortable in current. (2) I now carry a 6L (40c.f.) pony on every dive. I still use air very heavily, but I now have hour-long dives like most people. (3) I learned the proper way to use and store a reef hook. (4) We now carry large SMBs and can deploy them UW, and air horns (DiveAlert), mirrors, and PLBs.

Our group was very lucky no one got hurt on the dive. In retrospect I think the "primary fault" was the Tour Leader took us in at the wrong time. Hey - it happens, no one can judge the ocean perfectly. I had queasy feelings during the briefing and I should have stepped away from the dive - it's hard to do! There were others with my skill level as well - we all should have stepped away. No one did. Once in the water, some very experienced divers (600+ dives) tried to abort the dive and still got caught in the downcurrent.

One can never know what the ocean will bring.

I just saw & read your post now. Glad to hear you are now comfortable with current diving. This is my reef hook kit. Very compact with 5’ coil cord & 2 clips, the free end clipped on my chest D-ring & the hook end clipped on my waist D-ring to keep it from dangling when it’s not being used.

It works very well in Peleliu Express & Blue Corner (Palau). Got it for $15 in one of the dive shop in Sanur.

70F2935F-6FA1-4D62-9FFD-F8FB4BA36D93.jpeg

I got this reef hook when I was on Mermaid I Bali-Komodo trip. It’s now collecting dust in my drawer. It’s too bulky & no clip on the hook side to keep it off from dangling when it’s not being used.

88F09B75-5030-429D-93A8-232C3CD51969.jpeg

I just saw & read your post now. Glad to hear you are now comfortable with current diving. This is my reef hook kit. Very compact with 5’ coil cord & 2 clips, the free end clipped on my chest D-ring & the hook end clipped on my waist D-ring to keep it from dangling when it’s not being used.

It works very well in Peleliu Express & Blue Corner (Palau). Got it for $15 in one of the dive shop in Sanur.

View attachment 453089
Is that a wire cord cable? If yes, how would you cut free is it became necessary?

Is that a wire cord cable? If yes, how would you cut free is it became necessary?

That’s the beauty of it. If you can’t reach out to the hook, you just unclip it off your chest D-ring. Simple! :D

That’s the beauty of it. If you can’t reach out to the hook, you just unclip it off your chest D-ring. Simple! :D
Gotcha.

I got this reef hook when I was on Mermaid I Bali-Komodo trip. It’s now collecting dust in my drawer. It’s too bulky & no clip on the hook side to keep it off from dangling when it’s not being used.

View attachment 453092
I also have one like that bought on Mermaid. I went to Hermann on the dive deck and he cut off the big clip and I replaced it with a double-ender.

- Bill

I rarely use a reef hook and mostly hang on with two fingers or use my little metal muck stick. But, I sometimes carry an extra reef hook for my team. See photo below. Hair tie for my wife.

Bill, I will arrive in Bali on 7th April.

BA8858D4-E29C-40BC-A1C1-CDC4413E1BB6.jpeg

I rarely use a reef hook and mostly hang on with two fingers or use my little metal muck stick. But, I sometimes carry an extra reef hook for my team. See photo below. Hair tie for my wife.

Bill, I will arrive in Bali on 7th April.

View attachment 453098
Great. We leave April 7. Wwe will be in Singapore March 7-15?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom