How I almost drowned -- twice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just my take on this. I also use a double ender but no additionnal clamp since I attach the first end of the double ender to my BCD and the second end to the hook itself. This makes for a simpler and shorter setup :)

Just my take on this. I also use a double ender but no additionnal clamp since I attach the first end of the double ender to my BCD and the second end to the hook itself. This makes for a simpler and shorter setup :)

I’m sure if I understand your set up & how to use only a double ender without an additional clamp. The double ender is used after unhooking off the rock & for a quick stowing the hook onto your BCD D-ring so it won’t be dangling away from you & cause an accidental hook / entanglement as you drifting away from the reef. Where are both ends of the string attached to after you finish using it?

Last edited:
…. We have been down to see the sweet lips on several occasions - they are at just over 100 ft....

Those schooling sweetlips stacking like a can of sardines is the trade mark of Raja Ampat. I had a chance to take a couple pictures of them last November, although they were not as impressive as the others that I have seen before.

lM1828238.JPG
kM1827966.JPG

I’m sure if I understand your set up & how to use only a double ender without an additional clamp. The double ender is used after unhooking off the rock & for a quick stowing the hook onto your BCD D-ring so it won’t be dangling away from you & cause an accidental hook / entanglement as you drifting away from the reef. Where are both ends of the string attached to after you finish using it?

The end that is attached to my BCD ring contains the first loop of the rope. The second loop of the rope is attached to the hook that is clipped on the second end of the double ender. Hope it is clear, otherwise may take a picture :).

D-RING on BCD Chest : double ender and first loop of rope.
The hook, linked to the rope is attached to the lower part of the double ender.

The end that is attached to my BCD ring contains the first loop of the rope. The second loop of the rope is attached to the hook that is clipped on the second end of the double ender. Hope it is clear, otherwise may take a picture :).

D-RING on BCD Chest : double ender and first loop of rope.
The hook, linked to the rope is attached to the lower part of the double ender.

I get it now (I think). Basically, you use one end of the double ender to latch on both the string loop & BCD D-ring. That is a pretty small clamp to latch on to 2 loops. I’ll have problem latching both loops underwater without looking (just by feeling) onto the tiny double-ender clamp.

Anyway, this 6’-long reef-hook setup is still pretty compact. It fits in the palm of my hand & in my BCD pocket.

85A1792E-294B-4C41-8F75-B4BB59EC44F6.jpeg

Last edited:
Not difficult to put two loops on one hand, since I do that before I dive.

Hooks are great. Make sure you have a cutting device to detach you if necessary. Recommend shears over knife.

Pony’s are out of fashion but I always have one or a 6L stage no matter the dive.

Fighting currents rarely works out. Let go, shoot an SMB and get picked up. Most decent ops will see your sausage a long way away.

Glad you made it through it. But if diving those dives make sure you understand- and your buddy does - your get out plan.

Up/down currents can be scary. Getting away from the reef can help but also risks getting blown too far off the reef so it’s not binary but generally I prefer to get off the up/down drafts.

Sometimes these things are unavoidable but prep for worst case then you’ll relax a lot more and not blow through gas as much and know how you have a plan. SMB, mirror and EPIRB pretty essential is those conditions. Redundant gas never hurts. As is reachable cutting device if using hook. A knife down your shin doesn’t count. Make sure accessible by either hand.

I’ve experienced similar when I was new and it was pretty terrifying.

John

P.s. I don’t think wire or double ended great ideas. When your mask is getting ripped off and your reg is breathing water while you’re hooked in you want the simplest solution. A shears will go through your average taught non metal line like a knife through butter.

I had exactly the same experience in Galapagos. I was with my buddy and DM, watching hammerheads. I was closer to the rock. It was like being in an elevator. My computer was going crazy and I could hear the waves crashing on the rocks. I was afraid that I would get bashed against the rocks if I surfaced, and that the panga wouldn't be able to get to me. I managed to grab a rock and hang on, then work my way back down. The other two never noticed that I had suddenly left. The DM turned to me and gave me an OK? I gave him the finger. That was the same trip I had the reverse squeeze at 60 ft, got lost on the night dive, and bruised two ribs on the ladder. Other than that, it was a great trip.

.... That was the same trip I had the reverse squeeze at 60 ft, got lost on the night dive, and bruised two ribs on the ladder. Other than that, it was a great trip.

Hope I'm never diving with you on a bad trip... :eek:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom