How important is your log book?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm pretty attached to my log book. I'm the type of person though who likes to log everything so I can refer back to it at a later date if needed. That way I know what sites I've dived, how much weight I needed, what creatures were in that area, water temps that time of year etc. when I go back to different dive destinations. I think I'll always log my dives even after I get 5000+ under my tank. Plus, my log book/binder has all of my charts, eDPRML, C-cards, DAN card copies etc. in it.

I concur with Stu - you need a place to add details to your dives, including such simple things as the name of the dive site, the operator, maybe even where on planet earth you are. You can't get this from a dive computer download.

I can't? I have a PC logbook that disagrees... Every dive I've done has been downloaded from my dive computer to my PC and has the site name, location, weather conditions, vis, exposure suit used, tank used, buddies dived with, misc notes I wnat to include, etc... in addition to the dive details, such as depth, dive time, gas consumption, etc... In fact, it includes so much information I can't print it all on the width of one page. I have to pick and choose what I actually want printed.

It's great to see that I'm not alone when it comes to logging dives.

Besides being a place to record my dives and take notes, my dive log also stores cert. cards, insurance cards, rdps, cue cards, and even emergency cash. I converted an old Franklin Planner notebook for my log. I use write in the rain paper with a template I created.

In addition, I have a multi worksheet Excel workbook with all kinds of stats including a pivot table with combinations of thermal protection, weights, and water temps.

For some it may be overkill, but to each his own.
Have I ever had to produce my log book? Three times in a dozen years of diving.
Why do it? Personal enjoyment.

I use a paper logbook in addition to uploading from my Cobra to DiveLog to preserve profiles etc. The reasons are the same as some others have mentioned, I won't repeat.

What I didn't see in this thread, although I've mentioned it in other related threads, is that I back up my paper logbook by scanning it. Multifunction inkjets are everywhere these days. Mine will easily make a 300 dpi b/w scan of two standard logbook pages in less than a minute. Just do it after a trip and it's not really much of a chore.

One 2-dive pdf is about 1 MB at 300 dpi. Space is neglegable by today's standards. It's always on my laptop, as well as my iPod touch (using Air Sharing), and backed up to external disk. It's not photo quality, but it's very readable wrt information.

BTW, a higher-res jpg scan of my C-cards and DAN card is also on my laptop and iTouch, as a backup save-a-dive approach.

1. A remainder of where I've been, what I was wearing, what weighting I needed.

2. Usually, when in foreign climes, dive centres want proof of when I last dived.

3. I'm a bit anal about it too.

I also don't bother about getting the dive varified by my buddy, maybe I should do that as well. :idk:

Generally if I have your signature once, I don't ask again. I just write "dove with such and such, whose a what's it, and something with big ears".

I can't? I have a PC logbook that disagrees... Every dive I've done has been downloaded from my dive computer to my PC and has the site name, location, weather conditions, vis, exposure suit used, tank used, buddies dived with, misc notes I wnat to include, etc... in addition to the dive details, such as depth, dive time, gas consumption, etc... In fact, it includes so much information I can't print it all on the width of one page. I have to pick and choose what I actually want printed.

Same here, but you still have to manually add a lot of that detail, don't you?

I didn't log a whole lot of dives in the 70' and 80's, and now regret it (for nostalgic reasons only). I now log all my dives. Even though I just shore dive 99.9% of the time. It is helpful to be able to be able to refer to weight requirements for different wetsuits, equipment configs, etc.

Best wishes.

Not seen my log book for years. Not written in it for even longer. I reall see no benefit any more.

I do occasionally download off my computer when i remember but usually dont fill in details there either. Its just extra paperwork and ive got enough of that already.

I do occasionally download off my computer when i remember but usually dont fill in details there either. Its just extra paperwork and ive got enough of that already.

Exactly.

Back
Top Bottom