How important is your log book?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I keep my paper log as my "notebook" for when I'm away from my computer log (i.e. vacation) and just as a back up record that goes with me wherever I'm diving. (only one place has ever asked to see it) I also record any specific info (weights used, exposure suit used starting/ending pressure) for reference.

My computer log is my personal account of the dives, I record any information, add pictures if applicable, and copy the dive report that I submit to my diving group to remember anything that happened, or just general BS from that particular dive day. Something to just re-read during the non-diving season....

Just used my logbook to look up the water temp for a dive site at a particular time of year and posted it in another thread, hopefully it was useful.

First time I've found a use for it so far, then again I don't have many dives... yet.

For me it's important when I have to show proof of certain number of dives that are required for some certification, to remember what I have done, to keep more technical information to help me when I go back to the same sites and equipment and also to keep contacts there. I enjoy going through past dives some times.

I personally think i will always use some sort of log book/computer program/notebook to record my dives for several reasons.

First to be able to look back and gather information for a dive at a previous site
Second to be able to re read certain dives and remember the details of that dive and if using a computer program i can even add pictures to the dive log or something to remind me how much fun i had.
Third I would love to be able to pass my dive books down to my kids, grand kids and great grand kids so that they can be introduced to diving via a realative.

but thats just me and thats my thoughts NOW who knows how I will feel after having a whole bunch of dives like some of you guys.

Rich

I started logging each and every dive once I moved to Maui. I regretted the many thousands of previous dives that I had failed to log. We had a logbook at the old shop that had the dives in it but it wasn't in my possession and I would like to have the record for personal satisfaction and nostalgic reasons. Now I am diligent about it. To the point where I submitted it to the Diving Almanac and Records people and they awarded me a World Record for the Thickest Log Book in 2008! I still log each dive and yesterday I entered # 3,655. A cool thing happened the day before. I had finally found my first ever Jolly Green Giant nudibranch! I knew it was a special sighting but when I looked in the ID book they said it was considered "The Holy Grail among many divers in Hawaii"! Well, by looking at my logbook I could instantly tell it took me 3,653 dives to finally make that happen!! It made for a really fun fact for us to share at the site and gave appreciation to the tiny 3/4 inch slug that I was so stoked about!!

n1038890729_81458_2623.jpg

It's not for everybody but I have fun logging my dives and the memories are priceless to me. That's why I do it!

I still log every dive but I'm only on 130 or 140 or something around there.. and I write in my log for a few reasons.

One, so I can be reminded of how much weight in a particular location with or without a wetsuit.. not that it really matters because I use different amounts now than I did when I first started.

But my most important reason why I don't want to ever lose my log book is the little details I've written about what I would see. My first ocean dives were crammed with new critters that I had to describe because I couldn't name, and now I've got lazy with that but I still note when I come across a cleaning station or a big critter, and the entries/exits are important to me now too.

I'm not the most nostalgic person, but for some reason, my log book is the exception to that :)

I enjoy the dive, writing (logging) the dive, and then later looking back on it. And as other have written, I can also reference the specific information like equipment, weight, temperature, depth, etc.

I also like looking at my past computer logged dives. So I'd say that my log is important to me.

Also, when going to new places, I have been asked to produce my most recently logged dives or else I would have been required to hire a guide/DM to check me out or even to accompany me on all my dives. I have never been asked for my log when returning to places that I have been diving in the past.

In fact, today, 2 hours from now, my dive buddy will be here to head out for a late afternoon South Jetty/Yaquina Bay/Newport/South Beach/Oregon dive. I'm already looking forward to logging it when I come home and comparing it to past dives. One reason is that the Army Corp of Engineers have not dredged the Yaquina Bay for a while and I'm going to compare today's dives with the last two years - just for fun and technical interest.

I started diving 44 years ago and I have never even owned a diver's log book. A pilot's log book, yes; a diver's log book, no.

I still log every dive. I'm planning on taking my DM course soon, so its still a necessity in a way. but I'm quite anal as well. I think I'll be logging for a long time after its necessary.

I think it's great to be able to look back and see what you can improve on etc

As promised, I went diving on Friday, and logged my Yaquina Bay Jetty Dives (South Beach, Oregon) dives Sunday evening. I sat there in my living room bruised from the 35 knot wind that pushed me over into the rocks after the 1st of 2 dives and I wrote the details of the adventure. Under the choppy (to put it mildly) bay, it was calm and the sun showed itself. We picked up a bunch of crabs, toured around, and were amazed to see, each time we came up, that it was still stormy upon the topside. I'll read about this in my divelog when I'm 85 and retelling the stories to my greatgrandchildren! :) Of course, the wind will be 50 knots by then - oh darn, since I wrote it up, there is no exagerating - so there are some disadvantages with logging it! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom