How important is your log book?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i love my logbook! its nice to read them once in a while and remember the dives! id be gutted if i lost any of my logs!
ive only been asked for it once but its always in the car when i go diving!

I've got 70 something dives. My wife does a good job with logging, drawing pictures etc. It is nice to read my wife's detailed logs years later to refresh what we saw on the dive. I also like logs to remind me how much weight to wear with different setups.

Was thinking of going to a single line log as I'm lazy with writing. Talked with some divers that had thousands of dives and some quit logs and some just use a single line log.

Mine is pretty important to me. That is why I back it up with my other files. On the other hand I don't see the point of a paper logbook with cutesy stamps.

I think stamps encourage newbies and make things more official. One shop even had a shark stamp for the shark feeding dive.

I have 400+ dives and still log them all. My dive log has removeable pages so I only carry with me the last 75-100 or so, the rest are in my filecabinet. I refer to my log often, checking to see how much weight I used, water temp, wetsuit, what I saw at a place, what I liked or didn't like at a dive destination..... the list goes on and on of reasons why I log. I also keep a website with trip reports, photos, and videos.... I need to refer to my log when I return from a trip to do that.

I also refer to it often for chats here on SB. People ask questions about where to find a particular fish or what water temps are at a destination at a certain time of year, etc. I can pull out my log and tah dah.... I know the answer for them. :D

robin:D

In the days before cert cards log books were your "passport"; they proved your qualification/experience. We now (luckily) have C cards. But log books are like old photo albums; hard to keep at the time but invaluable for looking back at in years to come.

Back
Top Bottom