How is Covid19 Affecting the World's Aquatic Environment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveHeart

DiveHeart Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Do you wonder how the aquatic world is reacting to Covid19? ...Is less human activity above and below the water around the world benefiting the reefs, aquatic life, the environment? Your thoughts?
#covid19 #environment #coralreef #aquaticlife #sunscreen #fishing#pollution #ocean #aquatic #sea #sealife
92449467_10158102660811280_4417776087623270400_o.jpg

There's already been a thread or two on that exact topic. I think the consensus is that the environment will benefit but nobody should know how much because we should not be diving. Better than nothing but personally I think a few months (or less because really people ARE still diving) is only going to be enough for a very small change. Hope I'm wrong.

Thanks for the quick response. I was just wondering if there were thoughts of potential research on the subject. I agree, Intuitively, it seems like things should improve to some degree if left alone for a while.

I think the consensus is that the environment will benefit but nobody should know how much because we should not be diving.
At first I took your words very differently. I took them as a radical environmentalist saying them as a general rule for always.

At first I took your words very differently. I took them as a radical environmentalist saying them as a general rule for always.
No, I was thinking of the death last weekend that occurred in my home state. A commercial dive boat went out in defiance of the government order. It only made the news because someone died. Although nobody (at least around here) is allowed to be diving right now, apparently folks still are doing it. Still, there's undoubtedly fewer divers than there were a month ago by a wide margin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom