How Is Puget Sound Diving In The Winter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I ever make it up there I need to try this. I saw people talking about the liquid heat packs and figure they would be good. I use them here on Maui and I have a bit of advice on them. Someone mentioned that the one he usd was good for about a half hour. I get the same or less here in Hawaii. I'd recommend using a bunch of them. One just isn't big enough for a human body. I used three the other night, one in my belly area, one under each pec muscle, against my ribs. I used each one at ten minute intervals starting with the one in my belly. It was nice to have the continuous flow of warmth and took the edge off. I would think if you guys used four or five and maybe kicked off three to start and saved two for a little while into the dive, you could super heat your body early which would make it easier to maintian your heat throughout a dive. How long is your typical dive there anyway? 45 50 minutes? Longer? I've never been up there but did dive Maine and NH back in 1983 so I can appreciate the icy coldness of it and I respect it. I also hate being cold! Try the wetsuit heaters if you can. There's a link to them on my website or you can go here: Hotsuits heated wetsuits, the world's first heated wetsuit

shaka, if ya come in the summer a single 7mm will be only a 18 pd belt, your the same size as I so I will lend ya a dry-suit or wet for the type and time, if the video is what your in for I can take or point you the route to get max bottom time.

Got the 3/2 shorty insta dry henderson, like my turtle suit when I was a kid yet flex panels look like a uneven entry, bonaire, aruba, cabo will be the test shortly.

Happy Diving

it'd be interesting to get one of those temperature probes that you swallow and measure body temperature before, during and after a dive like this...

Lamont-
I don't think that's where those temperature probe thingies go...

Tom

Okay so finally got diving (about a month later than I was hoping to), but wasn't too bad. Water was a little chilly, but not a huge magnitude different than in the summer. Getting out kind of sucked, but as soon as I took the top part off, dried off the top half of my body and threw a sweatshirt on, felt fine. My legs and feet were fine until I took the rest of my wetsuit off, then got another little sting from the cool air, but nothing too bad.

I was only doing a single dive, but I think if I do two in the future I'll definitely remove the top half of my wetsuit and throw on a sweatshirt and/or jacket between dives, but leave the bottom half on until I've completed all dives

My dive computer says temperature was 46, no idea what this is though, if it means average, minimum, surface, etc.

Thanks for all the advice!

Coldwater (or anyone)... What wetsuit were you using? I've been wondering whether to pick up a Pinnacle Kodiak 8mm... Want to know how good or bad it'd do round here?

My dive computer says temperature was 46, no idea what this is though, if it means average, minimum, surface, etc.

That was minimum. Most computers tell min temp, and that's what temp it was when I dove there in the winter last year.

Tom

There's not a lot of difference between min, max and average temperature in the Sound. We don't have thermoclines, and unless there is a cold surface layer of fresh water, it's pretty much the same through the water column.

If you were diving in a wetsuit yesterday, you're a brave person! We were gearing up in drysuits, in driving snow :)

There's not a lot of difference between min, max and average temperature in the Sound. We don't have thermoclines, and unless there is a cold surface layer of fresh water, it's pretty much the same through the water column.

If you were diving in a wetsuit yesterday, you're a brave person! We were gearing up in drysuits, in driving snow :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom