How Is Puget Sound Diving In The Winter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uhh, yes we do have thermoclines. Particularly in the summer, there is a mass of warmer water on top of "harder" cold water in many places. It's quite measurable on a boat using a depth finder.

Jack

Jack, is that temperature change anywhere in the recreational diving range? I've never encountered a thermocline on any dives, except in the lake.

ok, i am probably the biggest wuss here when it comes to cold water so let me say this. my wife and i dove at edmonds underwater park last weekend and we had no problems at all. the 2nd dive was a little chilly but not too bad. we had 7mm wetsuits, gloves & hoods so there u have it. if it's acceptable for me, a native of florida originally, anyone can handle it.

Yes, Not so much in the winter, except for th all the fresh water on top, but definitely in the summer months, it can be pretty warm and then you'll hit a hard, cold layer down about 40-50 feet. That's why we get the plankton bloom on top, with better viz below, warmer temps and more light.

Jack

Back
Top Bottom