How is the rainy season?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry Fab,

Not at all the same. It can rain non stop for days during the rainy season, which in the Bay Islands runs from November until early to mid February. Anyone saying anything else is wrong

However if the Hurricanes stay clear of us, we can expect a nice warm and reasonably dry time of it in August.

I've heard it time and time again, "I thought it would be just the same as everywhere else in the Caribbean. Two hours rain in the afternoon" Rainy season here means winter storms bringing rough seas to the Northern coasts and inches and inches of rain. I love the diving at that time of year, but I find it hard to keep my tan.

It rarely stops us from diving, but it certainly effects it

Between November and February you are playing Russian Roulette as far as sun is concerned. You WILL get to dive as much as you want, but don't bank on a tan. On the other hand you could get burned as hell in mid December. So bring the Sun Lotion and a rain coat.

Vis should be good. By that time of year the waters are getting warm and that can lead to algae which effect vis. The best vis is in the spring, March and April are outstanding.

SEVEN-YEAR PERIOD
Month.... Average Temp... Average inches of rain... Average rainy days
January......76.9.........................12.18............................13
February.....78.6..........................3.52..............................8
March.........80.6..........................2.66..............................4
April...........82.0.............................9.6.............................3
May............83.4..........................2.11.............................4
June...........84.4...........................2.22.............................5
July............84.4...........................6.35.............................11
August........84.4...........................5.21.............................11
September...85.0..........................4.99..............................7
October.......82.4...........................14.97............................14
November....79.1...........................19.89............................18
December....78.0............................14.26...........................16

A list of Roatan Weather resources: http://www.websitetoolbox.com/mb/ccv?forum=25274

We'll be there next week...can't wait! Is the wind still kicking? Rough seas?

Never get too far ahead of yourself planning anything in the Bay Islands.

(read as: I'd still bring the raincoat!)

Ditto to what RoatanMan sez. Follow his advice for Bay Islands. He's a great resource even though his profile is pure fiction (but a good laugh just the same)!!

Thanks for the CocoView link. I check it regularly and am quite aware of what the weather was like last week, but I was more interested in what's happening now. Since I have problems with getting seasick I am hoping that maybe the seas are settling a bit...

Since we are looking at going the last week of October into November, there's a really good chance that it will rain every day? Maybe we should look else where. I know my wife likes to get some sun time and would probably be get a little upset if it rained every day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom