How is the reef looking?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darook

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Now that the water temps have cooled below stressful levels I am wondering if there was any bleaching. Looking at the NOAA site it appears it got a little warmer and stayed that way a little longer than last year. I did not notice much bleaching at this time last year. Heading there in a few weeks and hoping for the reef to be looking good!

Here is the NOAA site I referenced: NOAA Coral Reef Watch Caribbean Virtual Stations

When I was there in October, I'd say much of it overall decent, with lusher gorgonian growth in the shallows, large brain corals often partially dead but a number of pristine soccer ball-sized ones. The standout exceptions were Margate Bay and Sweet Dreams way south; really lush southern sites. Wave action was more pronounced the day I went, and down south one need be mindful of the potential for currents, but the difference in 'eye candy' effect was striking at those two.

Richard.

I just got back from a great trip two weeks ago and did not notice any serious bleaching occurring. We did see more red algae covering things than from our visit two years ago, but things are still looking decent. The fish life was still outstanding! I agree that the southern sites were more lush, but the northern sites were still great. The top of the reef at Tolo was especially lovely, along with the Karpata shallows and the staghorn nurseries at Jeff Davis.

The top of the reef at Tolo was especially lovely, along with the Karpata shallows and the staghorn nurseries at Jeff Davis.

Glad to hear it. This last trip I did't go farther north than 1,000 Steps, because I didn't want to commit to the one way section of road, and thus a long round trip back. Always liked Tolo on past trips.

Richard.

Last spring, the problem was a yellow algae that carpeted large parts of the shallow sandy areas between shore and reef. Gross, frankly. Loosened algae draped over the shallow corals, as well.

PA072293.JPG PA072306.JPG PA072297.JPG
Really bad at Salt Pier but they seem to like it?

PA021263.JPG
But it isn't everywhere.

Ray and Pam, I can confirm from our own dive and talking to others those turtles have been in the shallows at Salt Pier for at least the last week.

Ray and Pam, I can confirm from our own dive and talking to others those turtles have been in the shallows at Salt Pier for at least the last week.
My son and I dove Salt Pier this past Thursday and counted 5 turtles (including a really small one) in the shallows, all chomping on the yellow algae.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom