how long can i stay down on dive 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

type a semicolon followed immediately by a ) ? Like this :wink:
or ; ), without a space? If you did then that's how they got there, if you didn't then I don't know. You can get rid of them by editing your post and placing spaces between the ; and the ). Not sure how you turn them off though. You can use html to do it in an html formated board, but here I don't know.

Walter,
Omitted Decompression Procedure: Should you exceed the doppler no-decompression time limits by less than 5 minutes on any dive, it is recommended that you ascend normally to 15 ft (5m) and stop for at least 10 minutes, or longer if your air supply allows. Should you exceed the NDL by more than 5 and less than 10 minutes, it is recommended that you stop at 15 feet for at least 20 minutes, or longer if air supply allows. In either case wait 24 hours before diving again. Note that this procedure is hugely conservative compared to the full Navy tables.
I still don't understand your question about the times removed by truncating the tables. You just remove the times beyond the doppler limits from the tables entirely - so in the case of the 50' line, the line simply ends at 70 minutes, repetitive group "I" - and dives over 70 minutes TBT at 50' aren't planned or done as no-decompression dives. RNT calculations remain the same.
For *planned* decompression dives, I would go to the full Navy tables. (Well, actually, I go to my computer, and carry the IANTD tech Nitrox tables as a backup)
Hope this clears it up.
Rick

Omitted decompression means you should have made decompression stops, but ascended without making them or without making all of them.

I believe what you are referring to as "omitted decompression" is actually what you are telling me is the staged decompression proceedure using SSI tables. That clears up one question.

Now you tell me: "and dives over 70 minutes TBT at 50' aren't planned or done as no-decompression dives."

Does this mean the NDL's as well as the decompression proceedures are different from the US Navy tables? That clears up the second question, the SSI are not merely truncated, they have been modified. That's a good thing, merely cutting off the end would have left too many problems. Thanks for taking the time to clarify.

Walter

Walter,
By Jove, I think we've got it! The tables are truncated, the decompression procedures are modified. (SSI calls it "omitted decompression procedure" because you aren't supposed to be doing any staged decompression in the first place - even though the procedure is in fact a decompression stop. I'm sure a lawyer could explain the rationale for the wording.)
Rick

Walter:

Whoops…. Thanks for the comment. Concerning the NDLs, I was referring to the PADI ones being more conservative than the US Navy. It is true that they are not necessarily more conservative than other tables that came out since the RDP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom