How long do I have to complete my PADI OW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubblesmd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My family finished the written and pool portions of the PADI OW course and were supposed to go to Hawaii to finish off the Open Water dives. BUT, due to Covid-19, it's unlikely we're going to be able to make it out until the summer (or whenever travel resumes).

How long do I have to finish the PADI OW course? 1-year? 2-years?

Hawaii isn't the only place you can dive.

Explore local options. I got certified a half century ago in a murky 30 foot deep lake with zero visibility.

(I don't know the answer to your question but sometimes the question that isn't asked gets the most useful answer).

Explore local options. I got certified a half century ago in a murky 30 foot deep lake with zero visibility.

True, but Monterey is my closest option and the wife and kids aren't down for that cold :)

C'mon, push those limits!

Present it to them as some sort of crazy adventure. A bit of cold never hurt anyone!

Think now nice it will be to head to Hawaii next year with those OW certifications in hand and just enjoy the diving.

So you would have a 1 year time frame to finish you cert unless you refresh with an instructor. If not maybe look to get cert localy.
324AFF37-F738-4B29-BFD9-9AB7E313A34F.jpeg

Most of the local dive shops are closed so doing your cert dives in Monterey my not be an option right now either. We have a class at the end of the month and probably will get cancelled as no support for air fills and gear. I have a trip to the Big Island next month to go diving hopefully still a go?

Also wait and see what PADI and your local shop do in response. Right now there is a lot of uncertainty as to the actual fallout of this. The dive industry is very consumer service oriented, shops know this and know keeping customers happy within there means makes for repeat customers. Just be understanding that they are likely losing a lot of money right now and be willing to work with them.

It wouldn't surprise me that, seen the actual circumstances and depending on the duration, they might consider pushing the date limit.
Best thing to do is contact PADI and pop the question. I've learned they are very responsive through all channels, whether it's Twitter, mail, their website... name it.

You get 12 months to finish. All this speculation is unnecessary.

Padi Standards are that everything is valid for 12 months.
However, your new skills will get rusty and forgotten over that period of time.
After about 3 months, I prefer my students to complete a short refresher in the pool with me, just to ensure we are going to have a safe, enjoyable dive experience at open water.
I also advise them to refresh their knowledge before we meet.
Good luck with completing your course.
Cold water isn't that bad with the correct gear. But you mentioned "kids", that makes cold water more difficult, depends on your definition of "Cold".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom