How long should a DUI latex neck seal last?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bjd001

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm about to take my DUI CF200 drysuit in to get the neck seal replaced. I've had this neck seal for less than 2 years and it is not holding up well... The last neck seal was still in great shape after 4 years. (I got it replaced because it was getting a bit loose and I was sending the suit in for a new zipper anyway.)

I just got back from an 11-day dive trip to Alaska and I had to patch the neck seal during the trip. (We weren't sure it was going to last...) It looks terrible with lots of tiny cracks on the outside and it looked like it was starting to get a tiny vertical tear in the front. (That's when we patched it... I was afraid it would rip when I was trying to get the suit on or off during the trip.)

I always take very good care of my gear, and I haven't changed my diving habits much over the years... I've had the suit since 2004. I dive in Monterey at least once a month and take longer (coldwater) trips every year or two.

I'm wondering if I just got an old or defective neck seal put on the last time. Any ideas on why this one didn't last? Or was my previous neck seal unusual in lasting as long as it did?

I think your last sentence is probably the answer.

I usually get about six months (roughly 90 to 100 dives) off a neck seal, although mine usually become flabby and begin to leak. This last seal, which is a DUI, hasn't done that. It's developed a whole bunch of surface cracking about halfway down the seal, which puzzles me, because this is not the area that experiences the most stretch, by a long ways. The sealing portion of the latex is still pretty much fine, but the seal needs to be replaced anyway.

Depends on the care you take. I would say around 100-150 dives or 16 months. Some seals last only a couple of dives, maybe bad batch. The thicker more heavy duty seals seem to last longer from what I have heard, maybe someone can comment on those.

My latex Zip Neck seal is now becoming bad.It is becoming "flabby" as TS&M stated & leaks every time I turn my head. It has lasted me about a year & a half & has nearly 200 dives on it. I'm going ot change it out today, as I have to have it for an Open water course this weekend.

Fact is latex begins to break down immediately upon being exposed to air. Body oils and airborne pollutants like ozone further add to the deterioration. That's just the facts. You can do some things to slow that down a bit, but you can't stop it. Steve Gamble told me when he last replaced the seals on my Bare HD Tech that the best way to extend the life of a latex seal is to do the following:

1. Keep the seal clean. Wash it frequently with a mild soap and rinse thoroughly. He recommended at least monthly.
2. Use McNett UV Tech on the seal after each cleaning. The stuff is fantastic. Not Seal Saver (which is silicone), but UV Tech.
3. NEVER put UV Tech on dirty seals. Only seals that are freshly washed and dried.

This has worked great for me with my latest set of seals. My Bare is now my backup suit, but it's neck and wrist seals are showing no signs of significant deterioration after 2 years (they were replaced in Feb 2010 and it just became my backup suit last month).

Another important point is where you store your suit. You want to minimize its exposure to light, air and airborne pollutants. After each use, I lay it out to thoroughly dry inside then outside, then I store it away in a bag which is then in a Rubbermaid container. You want to keep the latex away from air and sun as much as possible when not in use. Just hanging the suit up in your garage or closet is a very bad idea.

I now have a DUI FLX Extreme with zip seals. I regularly remove the seals (between trips), wash them, and apply UV Tech once they're dry. I then store them in a ziplock bag with all of the air squeezed out and put those in a Rubbermaid container. This process works well for me since I only dive once or twice a month. I usually get in 2-8 dives over a few days and then go a few weeks to a month or so without diving.

For those diving much more regularly (and those without a zip seal), this process isn't really practical. However, the basic principles of keeping the seal clean with regular washing, applying UV Tech after each washing, and storing the suit away from air and sunlight can be applied by anyone. Might want to give it a try on your next seal!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the responses! Sounds like I just got lucky with that previous seal lasting 4 years.

TSandM: The "whole bunch of surface cracking about halfway down the seal" is pretty much what I saw on my current neck seal, plus the cracks that developed at the top.

Divin'Hoosier: I've been using Seal Saver but I'll go look for the UV Tech. I'm not familiar with that. Otherwise, my maintenance is pretty much as you recommended, except for the Rubbermaid container part. We don't store our gear in the garage... We have our "scuba shed", which is a 10 x 12 ft insulated building we built in the backyard for all of our dive gear and camping gear. After each dive outing the gear is washed and hung to dry, seal saver and zipper wax are applied and then the drysuits are folded up and put in their bags. Maybe I'll start storing the drysuit bags in a Rubbermaid tub as well.

I average about 50 dives a year... Hearing about 100 dives in 6 months makes me feel like that just is not enough! :D

Divin'Hoosier: I've been using Seal Saver but I'll go look for the UV Tech. I'm not familiar with that. Otherwise, my maintenance is pretty much as you recommended, except for the Rubbermaid container part. We don't store our gear in the garage... We have our "scuba shed", which is a 10 x 12 ft insulated building we built in the backyard for all of our dive gear and camping gear. After each dive outing the gear is washed and hung to dry, seal saver and zipper wax are applied and then the drysuits are folded up and put in their bags. Maybe I'll start storing the drysuit bags in a Rubbermaid tub as well.

I used to use Seal Saver. It just doesn't really do much except make them slippery. It isn't a true protectant/rejuvinator like UV Tech. UV Tech is similar to Armorall. Heck, it may be the same chemically for all I know! When put on clean seals, it protects from UV rays and pollutants and restores essential oils in the latex.

Here's a link to info about it from McNett: UV Tech

If Steve Gamble recommends it, I'll use it! I'm not sure if you know the name. If not, do a search on here or TheDecoStop. He is one if not THE leading authority on drysuits and drysuit repair.

Back
Top Bottom