How long to wait after breaking a collarbone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hendenburg2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I broke my collarbone about two weeks ago, and I have/(had?) a dive trip planned for the end of October. Doctor's prognosis is 4-6 week recovery, so the trip is right on the outside of that window. It's warm water (no wetsuit needed), so I'd only need a couple of pounds of weight (maybe stick with a weight belt), and it's all boat diving so I could put my BC on in the water.

My big concern is that even though I have trip insurance, there's no guarantee that the insurance company would say that a broken collarbone (and a mostly healed one, by the time of the trip date) is severe enough to prevent me from getting on a plane or staying at a hotel (according to their policy, an injury has to be severe enough to prevent a person from taking said trip in order for them to issue a refund).

Still, if anyone is either a medical professional or has had this problem, any advice would be awesome.

So I broke my collarbone about two weeks ago, and I have/(had?) a dive trip planned for the end of October. Doctor's prognosis is 4-6 week recovery, so the trip is right on the outside of that window. It's warm water (no wetsuit needed), so I'd only need a couple of pounds of weight (maybe stick with a weight belt), and it's all boat diving so I could put my BC on in the water.

My big concern is that even though I have trip insurance, there's no guarantee that the insurance company would say that a broken collarbone (and a mostly healed one, by the time of the trip date) is severe enough to prevent me from getting on a plane or staying at a hotel (according to their policy, an injury has to be severe enough to prevent a person from taking said trip in order for them to issue a refund).

Still, if anyone is either a medical professional or has had this problem, any advice would be awesome.
Not sure what your asking do you want to go or do you want a refund? My insurance says that after any surgery theres an automatic 6 week no insurance cover/claim window. Are you worried that any accident wont be covered due to your shoulder as a pre diagnosed condition? why dont you just get waiver on any related medical mishaps from that problem that still will cover you for lost flights car crashes lost luggage etc

I broke my collarbone earlier this year (end of April) and had a trip in August. It was a complete break and separation and Dr. said 3 month recovery, I needed a sling for about 5 weeks. I was worried so I called Dan after 2 months (which I suggest you do as well if you're a member).

Essentially, they told me that as long as I can physically perform the diving related tasks (swimming, climbing, shoulder straps on my collarbone, etc) then no issues. There could also be some shoulder pain which could mask any possible DCS symptoms, so be aware of that.

There is a theoretical increased risk of DCS immediately after the break (I believe this was less than a week).

Anyway, call DAN if you can, don't take my word for it.

As long as you're cleared for full physical activity and your orthopedist knows that the clavicle will be bearing weight directly on it, you should be fine.

Best regards,
DDM

I think the question here is was this trip specifically a 'dive trip' or is it a trip where you're going to dive.

In my opinion that will be where the insurance company may scream foul. Your injury won't prevent you from making the trip but it may prevent you from diving during the trip.

Insurance people can be really caught up on wording.

If you are worried whether or not the insurance will pay for your lost trip, get a note from your Orthopod telling you not to travel until given clearance by him/her. Last year, I had to cancel and reschedule a Paul Gauguin trip because of the risk of infection or re-injury following surgery to repair a badly broken finger. He said he was going to be really annoyed if I undid his great surgical repair job. Travel insurance paid for the lost trip without comment, and I had to wait until he gave me clearance to travel and dive. DAN is a great resource, but they are not your doctor, and your doctor should be the final arbiter of when you can travel and dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom