• 50-99

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • 100-249

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • 250+

Votes: 25 51.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many years ago, I had the pleasure of doing some BSAC courses with an SBS instructor at Fort Bovisand. It was a shock to my system after only having exposure to the PADI system (as OW and AOW diver).

In the space of the first week...I went from feeling 'excellently capable' to understanding that I would be unlikely to cope with any real emergency.

I had simular experiences when I entered tech training and, later, again when I started technical exploration of shipwrecks.

I love being 'humbled' on a training course. It tells me I am getting value for my money and really developing myself. I just feel pity for those people who avoid learning those lessons because their egos cannot cope with it. :(

baptism of fire then:D i know an ex sbs diver, he's a brilliant instructor, i also like their attitude best described as the difference between an amateur & professional musician; an amateur practices till he gets it right, a professional practices till he can't get it wrong. my friend's most trying time was not strangling someone who spent a lot of time diving the internet & enjoyed telling everyone else they had it wrong.

i get really frustrated by training courses where i know more than the instructor and sometimes you just have to sit through them:depressed: i remember one course where the instructor turned up with pristine equipment and then started to talk the most utter rubbish, he'd read the book, never done it for real & didn't really understand what he was talking about. the most recent course i did i really struggled, there was just so much to learn in a limited time, i had to do some qualifying dives with an instructor over the course of the next few weeks and i really enjoyed those because everything started to gel together and make sense that's the way they designed the course.

Some courses increase your knowledge...others increase your skills & capability....some do both :D If a course does neither of these, then you choose an inappropriate course...or an ineffective instructor..

Some courses increase your knowledge...others increase your skills & capability....some do both :D If a course does neither of these, then you choose an inappropriate course...or an ineffective instructor..

sometimes the course has to be done. take my radio licence, for example, the instructor was deaf, his hearing aid wasn't working properly & we spent all day whilst he read to us from the book. Hell i needed a radio licence, but i could have read the book at home before i went (in fact i did).

my introduction to Nautical Archaeology was in Portsmouth & instead of showing the slides of artifacts found on the Mary Rose we spent an hour in the museum, our guide was the guy who had been director of diving on the excavation Chris Underwood. I enjoyed the course, but would have paid the whole cost for that hour alone!

you win some you lose some

Back
Top Bottom