How many dives before taking a camera with you

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bdejong11129

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a new diver and just completed my open water certification. Wondering how many dives I should have before introducing a camera to the dive experience? When I did my last check dive my instructor was kind enough to take my TG-5 with him for me. I have been an avid photographer for a very long time but safety is paramount right now. How many dives did you all take before taking the shutter button along for the ride?

After looking at your avatar and based entirely on science I'm going to say, 27 dives.

Kidding.

But you are going to get a lot of responses that you need 20-25 or somewhere in that range of dives before you should consider bringing along a camera. I'm not too sure what these posters will be basing this on, unless one of them is your dive instructor familiar with your dive progression.

Anyway, I took an unhoused tg-3 along on my fifth dive. And by dive 8 had a housing and strobe and now nearing 50 dives I have dual strobes and have a fully manual capable rx100 coming in the mail as we speak.

The tg-5 is a great camera to start with because it allows you to use auto modes and still get good shots without being task loaded. Only you can determine if you are ready to bring a camera though.

Diving is a progression, and so is uw photography. As a new diver you should probably slowly step up the "complexity" of your dives. Similarly, you probably shouldn't try and start shooting with a full dslr out the gate.

I don't think there is a magic number of dives to be ready for bringing a camera, it's very easy to put that tg-5 in your bc pocket and if you feel comfortable during the dive, pull it out and take a few snaps, if you don't, you don't have too.

Good luck! UW Photography is addicting!

Depends on how comfortable you are in/under water, the size of the camera and your ability to always allocate sufficient mental bandwidth to safe diving/buddy awareness and only using your spare mental bandwidth for shooting.

Some folks can start snapping pics almost straight out of OW class, others should never carry a camera no matter how many dives they have logged.

I started shooting UW with a simple compact, no strobes. Having shot topside for quite a few years, I was quite comfortable putting my camera in P mode and letting my topside experience handle composition. Starting with the rig I use these days would have been stupid and somewhat dangerous.

From my limited experience, a camera tends to knock a couple certification levels and a hundred dives off you...

The main issue isn't so much risk to yourself as considerable damage to the coral that many camera divers tend to do bumping into everything. It's the extra task loading and the added difficulty of maneuvering a device around. But, the sooner you begin (while not using it aggressively), the sooner you can get used to the extra loading.

Probably as soon as you get your buoyancy and trim down, feel comfortable and confident, and can hover effortlessly - the last one is absolutely essential for underwater filming anyway, you won't get good shots otherwise. That generally takes at least 20 dives, but how many more is very individual.

Large camera rigs with stereo flash are much harder to use than a gopro or a TG-5. So with an easy to use camera like that, you don't have to wait too long.

Wondering how many dives I should have before introducing a camera to the dive experience?
Enough, so that having the camera does not interfere with competent, responsible diving. It depends on the diver. Too many inexperienced divers, with insufficient skill, feel compelled to bring along a camera or a GoPro to document their experience. You don't want to crash into others or the reef, silt up the site, or forget to monitor your instruments.

Thanks for asking

Your diving skills and buoyancy control should be automatic. The dangers include damage to the reefs, getting task loaded with too many piece to deal with and situational awareness - where your buddy is, where you are, what the conditions are.

This takes a fair amount of dives and while a small TG-5 or something is pretty easy, I'd still be very cautious to get plenty of experience first.

Wow, thanks to everyone for the quick replies. I am heading out this weekend on another dive and will leave the camera on the boat. I need to get a housing for it anyways. Read a bunch of posts here about the TG-5 and pushing it past its 50 foot rating and a housing is necessary for me. The charter has an option to have a dive lead go with you for a few extra bucks and that is what I am going to do. I look forward to sharing my experiences here. I will upload some of the pictures from my last check dive that were taken with the TG-5 as soon as I get done with them in LR. This looks like a great community.

I am a new diver and just completed my open water certification. Wondering how many dives I should have before introducing a camera to the dive experience? When I did my last check dive my instructor was kind enough to take my TG-5 with him for me. I have been an avid photographer for a very long time but safety is paramount right now. How many dives did you all take before taking the shutter button along for the ride?

I was once where you find yourself now. I started diving with a camera (at first a rental) on my very first dive after I got my OW Cert. Today, looking back, that was the worst thing I could have done. I also think that it would be irresponsible of me to say wait XX number of dives, since different people progress at different rates.

As a new diver, there are a number of factors that will come into play. You do not have great buoyancy control. I don't mean to sound critical, but this is a skill that takes time and experience to master. Your course will teach you the basics, but only through experience will you truly get a firm grip on it.

Also as a new diver, you will tend to go through your air more quickly than most if not all of the other people you are diving with. There are a few reasons for this. One is that this is all new and there is a heightened excitement level and you will likely breathe faster than normal. Second, for new divers, there is what I like to call the "cocker spaniel puppy effect". So much of the undersea world is new that you will spend a lot of time, energy, and ultimately air bouncing from one cool new thing to another. For a while, it will seem like you will have the attention span of a cocker spaniel puppy. It is actually a skill for most people that they have to learn to deliberately slow their breathing and in time, their air consumption will get better. Eventually, it will seem natural, but it takes a while to get to that stage.

I would recommend that you do not take a camera with you until you are at the point where you have your buoyancy nailed, and you are comfortable with your air consumption. You don't need to be the last person back on the boat, but it would be good if you are at the point where you are coming up with the rest of the group.) These should be second nature before you bring a camera with you. (In math terms, they should be essentially to the point where they have become constants before you introduce another variable into the equation.)

A camera will be a distraction. The cocker spaniel puppy effect will cause you to see something that you find incredibly cool and you will want a picture of it. You might leave the group (or your buddy) "just for a few seconds" and go over to get that shot. While there, you may bounce off the reef if your buoyancy is not perfect and you may be distracted to the point where your already slightly high air consumption will come into play. I am not saying that those will happen, I am saying that they are factors that could come into play.

As a best case scenario, by bringing a camera with you before you have mastered your buoyancy and are happy with your air consumption, you will have a very high task loading.

So, how did I do it? Well, like I said, I started carrying a camera right from the beginning. It took me much longer than it should have for me to "get a grip" on my buoyancy, and especially when I was first starting out, I was "that guy" who bounced off of, or who grabbed a hold of the reef. I was also always the first guy out of the water (sometimes by 30 minutes or more). Because I didn't have good buoyancy, and was always running low on air before everybody else, I also wasn't happy with my images. The camera was a distraction to my diving, and the diving was a distraction to the photography.

So, long story short: Learn from the mistakes I made. Don't take a camera until you are a much more experienced diver.

One final thought ... Underwater photography is totally different than photography above the surface. Sure, the "rules" of composition still apply, but the physics of what light does underwater not to mention the capability of water to support "suspended particulate" means underwater photography requires a whole new skill set that takes many things into account that you don't even consider above the surface.

You may also want to look into learning multiple propulsion techniques (back kick, helicopter kick, frog kick) as well. These will help for positioning and reduced silting.

Serious photographers are basically solo divers. When you're confident you can handle your safety needs independently, that's a good time to start thinking about it.

I started carrying a camera right from the beginning. It took me much longer than it should have for me to "get a grip" on my buoyancy, and especially when I was first starting out, I was "that guy" who bounced off of, or who grabbed a hold of the reef.

I started carrying a compact straight out of OW class. I was, however, rather diligent that my shooting shouldn't interfere with my diving, so I can't say I was a less safe or a less accomplished diver until I reached a few dozen dives and the "I think I'm experienced" stage.

Fortunately, my buddy called me out and pulled me back to reality.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom