How many dives did you have?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're a stickler, you could say that the first solo dive I had was my sixth dive (last of the basic checkout set), during which I became sick during the dive. I communicated this to my instructor, and he replied that he would take my buddy while I made my ascent using my computer to carefully monitor my ascent rate.

If you're a cynic, you could say that after my first four dives (for which I was the odd man out and therefore tossed with an experienced buddy), you might consider the rest of my dives solo-plus-liability, since at no point did I allow myself to *rely* on a buddy for anything. It's not that I don't like or trust a buddy, and I would welcome their help should something go wrong and they offerred, but I would not consider it wise to plan for them to be there just when something goes pear-shaped at depth. I make a point to plan for independent diving, and then I add on whatever I would need to assist a buddy in distress, so from a cynical, mathematical analysis, one could say that such is "solo-plus-liability" diving. (I'm not that cynical, so I would never say that. I'd call it a rather fun time.)

If you're in a thread somewhere else here on ScubaBoard, you just might say that I've been solo diving each and every time I've popped into a pool to play around or check things out, in which case, that would be from dive 6.1 on... or dive seven if you log pool dives... hehe. (Chances are, I might have difficulty suppressing a warm-hearted chuckle.)

If you're just a normal person, on the other hand, you'd probably say I've been solo diving off and on since dive 16, not counting a considerable number of pool dives. All my truly solo dives have been planned as such, not solos as a backup plan, and I am very regimented in my preparations for them.

An example of my solo prep work:

Days before my first solo, I went through a complete dry run of gearing up, writing every itsy-bitsy step down. I then typed everything up, added several additional steps of re-checking critical gear, and printed up a checklist. I then went back and checked off my gear on the contents list and followed the printed checklist step-by-step without any interpretation or interpolation. For any missing steps, a new list was created, and I started over. After three runs through it with no changes and nothing left out, I printed up several final copies and laminated and bagged them. I agreed that if anything failed, I could try to correct it, and if I was successful, I would be *required* to start the checks over from the beginning. If any detail could not be satisfied, the dive was scrubbed with no possibility of parole. (I knew I'd want to say, "It's not a big deal..." and go on, especially if I wasn't at the top of my mental form, so I determined those rules were *absolute*.)

When I packed my gear, I checked everything off on the checklist *in* *order*, and when I got to the site of the solo dive, I followed the list *precisely*, even if it did seem just a bit over the top, even for an _almost_ OCD personality like mine. When I got to the water to start the dive, I knew that I would not have to deal with having forgotten anything or any checks. Obviously, I had to monitor my dive and be prepared for any potential gear failures, but there was no way I'd be starting a dive with a problem.

I now dive every dive with my solo-inspired checklist, and more than once I've had to start over after encountering a violation. The last time was an O-ring that I didn't like the looks of. I extracted the old, cleaned the cruft from around it, popped in a new one, and started over from the top -- "Car key clipped in BC pocket?"

My last "buddie dive" was my OW certification, I've logged over a hundred dives and would honestly rather solo than buddie dive, I have never experienced any prejudice over diving solo and would be surprised at this if it ever occured within my circles. I like to explore places that I don't know (I have made some pretty neat finds, but I have gotten skunked from time to time) I have certain rules that I follow; I do not dive starting where I cannot see the bottom, visibility has to be optimal. I do not dive where there is moderate boat traffic. I have learned over time that one day I may be comfortable in ninety feet of water and the next I could be uncomfortable in fifty (my own confidence varies from day to day, every dive starts with a plan and a back up plan) I do not speed through a dive, I spend as much time looking up as I do forward, and move forward cautiously. I start every dive with a simple overall check (carrying a mirror) to see that I am not losing air from a connection or pinhole. I also spend time initially and throughout the dive to check that my pony reg is where it is supposed to be as well as my octo, I breath from the octo some forty percent of the time and run off of the pony every third dive for awhile to stay familiar. To me it is important that I can find my redundant systems much like I do my wallet, without looking (a very important skill, learned at the LDS)~Cold water requires caution, I do not put myself in a position further than fifteen/twenty minutes from shore in the winter should a valve fail (I dive dry) and my wife knows my plan and anticipated call. In the end, as has been recited in the other replies, it's up to you and your comfort level, don't solo because you like the idea, start shallow and decide based on your own comfort levels, read and talk to everybody (I did) and in the end be your own worst/honest critic about your abilities~ and accept the possible consequences for yourself.

Somewhere between 250 and 300, started going out on dives solo on occasion, intentionally. Since I spearfish, sometimes would get separated from buddy and finish dive by self - which was fine with me. Now have almost 400 dives (at least, working on logbook - it might be more - LOL) and have Rescue and DM certification too :)

None, I taught myself to dive and started solo.
I decided to add - I learned in an old quarry that had, at best, 2 ft vis.

Around 50, in good, clear conditions (about 25' vis) with a camera in my hand, the boat no more than 50' above me, and about 20 other divers in the immediate vicinity. I'm not saying they were readily available, but everytime I took my eyes off the camera, I was able to see at least one other diver. Dove no more than 40' away from the boat, laterally. Got some of the best pictures I've ever taken, and realized it would not be a frequent or regular thing, but it would not be my last solo dive, either. Have only done a couple since, but I will only do it when all the stars align properly.

45, did my first one last week. Shallow shore dive , but no one around. Resort made me sign my life away :) Will do it again, but only when it feels right.

Dive 6 was my first solo. My buddy lost his weightbelt when we capsized the canoe we were diving from so I went and found it.
Have done a few solo dives since then.

CIBDiving:
None, I taught myself to dive and started solo.
I decided to add - I learned in an old quarry that had, at best, 2 ft vis.
I bet you had to walk uphill going back and forth to the quarry as well. :wink:

JeffG:
I bet you had to walk uphill going back and forth to the quarry as well. :wink:

Well actualy - Yes, I did! :D
I couldn't drive at 11 years old, and my ride would only drop me off at the entrance to the quarry, so I had to hike the gear over a hill and down to the water, of course, I had to go back up and over that same hill getting out.

I'm not kidding, my first 50 or so dives were all solo with a steel 72 in a "lord of the D rings' harness and an old 2 hose Mistral reg. I had memorized the naui manual from '67, as well as the navy tables. Hardest part was the doff and don at 15ft (Or the the don part at least) - it took FOREVER to find the darn rig in zero viz!!! The 'milking' of the hose to get air in the case of a checkvalve failure and breathing off the bottle without a reg were a piece of cake after that.

Your Best dive buddy is your self.

The person you are diving with is your second.

IndyScott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom