How many dives did you have?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CIBDiving:
Well actualy - Yes, I did! :D
I couldn't drive at 11 years old, and my ride would only drop me off at the entrance to the quarry, so I had to hike the gear over a hill and down to the water, of course, I had to go back up and over that same hill getting out.

I'm not kidding, my first 50 or so dives were all solo with a steel 72 in a "lord of the D rings' harness and an old 2 hose Mistral reg. I had memorized the naui manual from '67, as well as the navy tables. Hardest part was the doff and don at 15ft (Or the the don part at least) - it took FOREVER to find the darn rig in zero viz!!! The 'milking' of the hose to get air in the case of a checkvalve failure and breathing off the bottle without a reg were a piece of cake after that.

Those were the days. You have me beat by 2 years, I was 13 but it was in 1957. Buddy! what buddy, I was lucky to even be able to dive. There probably wasn't another diver within 30 miles of my home.

captain:
Those were the days. You have me beat by 2 years, I was 13 but it was in 1957. Buddy! what buddy, I was lucky to even be able to dive. There probably wasn't another diver within 30 miles of my home.

It was at least 25 mi for me, that was the nearest town, and another 15 to a town with a dive shop for fills. That was the hardest part, getting the bottle filled. I'd thumb a ride to town and hang around the shop doing little things to help out until the owner took pity on me and gave me a fill. If he wasn't in a good mood or there wasn't anything I could do , I'd just beg the divers coming in - "Please mister, just get my bottle filled too, I'll pay you double". You have it that bad in '57? Finaly, after a few years, a couple of guys would take me diving with them and it got easier. Never that easy, I couldn't afford a wetsuit.

The cloest and only shop??(an army/Navy surplus store) was 30 miles. It might have been the only one in the state at that time. Luckly my dad's job took him nearby the shop once a week.

CIBDiving:
Never that easy, I couldn't afford a wetsuit.
and this was in Alaska?

JeffG:
and this was in Alaska?

Don't be rediculous, I'm not a native alaskan, I'm from a desert area, where the summer temps are > 90 and in winter < 30. No ocean for a few hundred miles, big cold river though.

But just in case you didn't know it, in summer, the water in alaska is warmer than the water around puget sound ~52, the japanese current and all that.

63 dives. my first solo dive was yesterday. My first solo dive was spearfishing. only went down to 30 feet, but i covered a lot of ground. If i'm diving a really easy spot where i've dove it before, i think i prefer going solo

Maybe I've already replied to this thread,can't remember sorry....but my first dive after the course was solo,and the second,and the third,and......

Beppe:
Maybe I've already replied to this thread,can't remember sorry....but my first dive after the course was solo,and the second,and the third,and......
Nigel No Mates eh?

Azza:
Nigel No Mates eh?

exactly.....and I'm still diving solo.Maybe my breath smells horrible:(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom