How many dives until your DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seasquatch:
Is there anything wrong with starting with about 30 or 40? (thats where i will be). Except experience that is. Just looking to get to the instructor sceen ASAP

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, per se ... but I do think you need to be honest with yourself as to your motivations.

Why do you want to get to the instructor screen ASAP? Are you ready for the responsibility that comes with being a DM ... and subsequently an instructor? Will you be able to be a good instructor with just the minumum number of required dives?

Everybody's different ... and learning curves vary wildly. The important thing is that, as a DM you should have demonstration quality skills ... consistently, and on-demand. You should have an excellent understanding of the fundamentals of diving if you plan to work with students and new divers. You should be mentally and physically prepared to respond to emergencies, and (more importantly) recognize situations that could lead to emergencies and take appropriate measures to avoid them.

Do you think you'll be able to do that by the time you get your DM certificate? I don't think anybody but you can answer that question. Everybody's natural ability, learning curve, and comfort zone are different.

To respond to your initial query ... I logged over 400 dives before starting my DM training, and another 400 before starting my instructor training. I do not hold those standards as suitable for anyone but myself ... but I didn't want to become a scuba professional at any level until I felt I was up to the responsibilities those certifications entail ... at least with regards to working with new divers. When new divers put their trust in me to guide them, teach them, and protect them, I want to be assured that I'm up to the task.

Your mileage may vary ... but I do think it's important for you to know, in your own mind, the reasons why you would want to become a DM and/or instructor. That's the only way to know what level of experience is right for you before embarking down that path.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Seasquatch:
Is there anything wrong with starting with about 30 or 40? (thats where i will be). Except experience that is. Just looking to get to the instructor sceen ASAP

Seasquatch

If you are looking to fast track to become an instructor why don't you spend some time learning to dive first.

I see lots of instructors who don't know how to dive teaching new divers how not to dive every weekend. Basic things like
proper bouyancy control. So learn to dive first so you have some knowledge to pass on.

Your profile indicates that you live in Vancouver, BC which has a wealth of great dive sites and year round diving oppurtunities. If you are truely motivated you should easily be able to get in 200+ dives in a year. (You do know how to night dive ?)

So go dive, enjoy yourself and after you gain some significant experience then start down the path of becoming an instructor.

To get you started down the right path I would also suggest a DIR Fundamentals course. I believe Sonya Tittle (formerly of Seattle but now based in Ft. Laurderdale) has a class scheduled in your area in the near future. Contact her at sonya@gue.com. For info on DIRF course check out www.gue.com.

Enjoy
Marc Hall
www.enjoythedive.com

hey all
i looked into the DIR course but will be away when she is here. Diving actually. I try to dive as much as i can, but i am a student and just cant get out everyday. I want to become an instructor so that i can go a teach for a year or two after i graduate. I just feel that getting the actual courses out of the way would be a good idea so that i can dive a lot and then go a teach somewhere else. Is there anything saying that once i become a DM that i have to work at it right away or can i continue to dive and master my skills?

Well the only thing I can relate getting a DM done so fast is when I ran a truck shop. I used to get kid's, young men etc. fresh out of a technical school. They had all the schooling done so there for they are a diesel mechanic, WRONG. They learned just the basics and how to cost me a lot of money messing things up. Only difference is a inexperienced DM just might get a person hurt bad or the least is bugger up someone's trip. Have a good weekend everyone.

Tom
K7TRM

Seasquatch:
Is there anything saying that once i become a DM that i have to work at it right away or can i continue to dive and master my skills?
Yeah, there's soemthing wrong with this idea! Way wrong.

You should have mastered the basic skill set during OW. By the time you complete a DM, you should be able to demonstrate all of those skills at a demonstration quality level. You should then be able to comfortably and reliably demonstrate a skill in a manner which is fluid and looks easy.

You do not have to work as a DM right away, but you have to do the work to become a DM.

Well, if I was a new diver depending on my DM to make all decisions and lead me along a fun dive, I figure that DM should be comfortable with the thought that my life is in their hands. How many dives is that?

Seasquatch:

Seasqatch-

You need to look at the type of work you will do as a Divemaster to determine that. I started my DM with about 60 dives. I pretty much act as an assistant to certify Open Water Students. By the time I was done, I probably had 60+ dives in the lake we do our Open Water training. It was enough that I felt comfortable leading tours and knowing my way around, even when the vis was only a couple of feet. I also assist in the pool. I felt, as did the instructors that I work with, that I was ready to become a DM.

If I were looking to DM on a boat, in say the Great Lakes, then NO WAY, I would not feel that I'm ready for that.

You need to look at what you plan to do, and that will help you determine if you are ready or not.

Julie

Interesting question. I had to look up my old logbooks. I had 164 dives before DM training. We had been certified for about 18 months at that point.

IMHO, the more diving you do, the better DM you will become. And that means diving under all kinds of conditions.

I have to laugh when I run into an "instructor" on a dive trip who brags about his "experience" level...."I have 300 dives!" Yes, 300 dives to 20 feet for 20 minutes.

I start DM classes next week and only have 34 dives logged. I think its your intentions after you have your certification that matters most. As for me, I need to know more about physics and the way the human body responds to depth. I have every intention of becoming an Instructor, but not until I'm ready. I would never take someone else's life into my hands without properly being trained and understanding my training.

I hate to report back that I've seen plenty of divers with 100+ dives under their belts who truely need a few lessons.

It's not the number of dives that make you a good diver, its what you learn from each of the dives you do and then apply it.

jlyle:
I have to laugh when I run into an "instructor" on a dive trip who brags about his "experience" level...."I have 300 dives!" Yes, 300 dives to 20 feet for 20 minutes.

I have to comment hear because I hear this a lot. An instructor may do a large number of shallow dives but it's about as technical and demanding as it gets. I've done 300 ft cave dives, 200 ft wreck dives and 20 ft OW training dives. I pay to do the wreck and cave dives but I charge to do the OW training dives so what does that tell you.

The difference between a 20ft OW teaching dive with half a dozen students and a couple DM'sand an 80 ft fun dive with one or two buddies is indeed dramatic. However it's the 20 ft teaching dive that requires the most skill and experience to do well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom