• 2 per year

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • 6 per year. One every second month.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • 12 per year. One every month.

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • 1 every week

Votes: 25 11.8%
  • I don't care and believe that shark finning or culling is morally wrong.

Votes: 89 42.0%
  • I find this poll disturbing and hopelessly flawed.

Votes: 61 28.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The report implies that police have verified the human remains they found were those of the missing diver and the injuries or marks on the body were the result of shark bites ie. the man or his corpse was attacked by a shark(s).
Explain why you jumped to the conclusion that the missing diver was attacked by a shark; when the cause of death is unknown.

All they know linking it to a shark is that bites were found. Sharks are well known to attack carrion.

Last edited:
I didn't know anything about the story in the link you provided, and I didn't see a reference to it here. Perhaps I missed it.

Foxfish brought it up and posted the link in #586

Foxfish brought it up and posted the link in #586

I would say that the change in subject in the discussion was not well introduced.

I'm sorry but I am over here and from the news I have heard I am not sure if this was a scuba diver or a free diver. Certainly he was taking rock lobster. I know in NSW it is illegal to take anything but a limited number of Abalone on SCUBA. If this was NSW I would assume it was a free dive. What are the rules in Western Australia regarding "taking" on SCUBA?

Here in WA you can dive on scuba to hunt crays and spearfish, there are bag limits (6 crays per diver) and they must not be in berry (eggs).

I don't hunt crays or spearfish and wish we would come inline with the other states.

Karl

I have been corrected. You can no longer take abalone in NSW on scuba. I must admit.. I agree with the authorities that say "taking" on scuba seems a bit of an unfair advantage in some cases. I understand why they allow it in some places with bountiful stock. My sensitivities don't matter as much as the law. If people are doing something legal they have the right. If the stocks don't support it.. then concerned people should take steps to change the law not harass people acting within their rights by the current laws:no:

We cop a fair bit of flack at some of our dive sites from fishermen who don't think we should be allowed to dive because we scare "their" fish. IMHO divers are wrong to interfere with fishermen but fishermen are wrong to interfere with divers:) We need to respect each other's right to the resources.

I saw a Discovery Channel or Nat Geo show that suggested dead shark or shark parts may actually be a shark deterrent. From a boat they chummed in sharks using normal fish and fish parts etc. When a number of sharks appeared and were swimming around the boat, they dumped in some dead shark parts and in a hot second, all the sharks bugged out. Like they knew their own dead and didn't want any part of it.

Good point although in my experience I know some shark species will prey on other sharks and might not be deterred if the dead sharks were of a potential prey species or a different species than their own.

I would question this. I have seen a picture of a Wobbegong Shark with a large portion of a Juvenile Wobbegong shark's tail and torso sticking out of it's mouth as it is eating the smaller shark!

Back
Top Bottom