• 2 per year

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • 6 per year. One every second month.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • 12 per year. One every month.

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • 1 every week

Votes: 25 11.8%
  • I don't care and believe that shark finning or culling is morally wrong.

Votes: 89 42.0%
  • I find this poll disturbing and hopelessly flawed.

Votes: 61 28.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So far we've got a bunch of suicidal divers champing at the bit to jump into an ocean teaming with man-eating sharks. Last week seven people got killed in shark attacks and I'm the government official charged with sorting out the mess. I've got an office full of grieving family members furious about the governments lack of action. Culling would be a very attractive option. Just as well that wasn't what I was angling for. :wink:

With all due sympathy to the family members, you should be applying the best science to your decision, not some populist knee-jerk reaction.

(from TheGuardian):
Western Australia’s shark cull has been condemned as futile by international experts as it emerged that attacks in Australia have fallen to their lowest level in five years.

There were 10 shark attacks in Australian waters in 2013 – the lowest annual total since nine in 2008 and lower than the 12.3 average attacks per year during the past 10 years (2003-2012), according to researchers at the University of Florida.
Australia’s two fatalities in 2013 are in line with its 1.4 yearly average over the same time period.
George Burgess, of the university’s International Shark Attack File, who also revealed that Florida led the world in shark attacks last year with 23, said WA’s controversial shark cull would not result in fewer attacks.
“Even if one ignores that an endangered species is involved, the archaic reaction can only be characterised as revenge killings,” Burgess said.
“Although infrequent, shark attacks are high-profile events that excite the emotions of human beings and often impact a community.
“Killing 10 sharks after a death is not the answer as it does not result in reduced attacks.’’
His comments came as more details emerged about the WA cull. Seventeen tiger sharks have been caught on drum lines and killed, the state’s Department of Fisheries said. Nine sharks have also been found dead on the drum lines.
In total, 66 sharks have been caught – 23 in the south-west and 43 in the metropolitan area. Sixty-three were tiger sharks, two were mako and one was a blacktip.
A local contractor has disposed of 13 tiger sharks more than three metres in length and has released six smaller sharks since January 25.
Department crews have disposed of four tiger sharks since February 1 and released 34, of which 28 were tagged to assist with research and shark tracking.
Under the policy, bull, tiger and great white sharks longer than three metres that are caught on drum lines within one kilometre of parts of the WA coast are being shot dead and discarded at sea.
The WA fisheries minister, Ken Baston, said results showed the methods were working well. “We have caught and destroyed a number of large sharks within one kilometre of selected beaches at a time of year when our beaches are crowded,” he said.
The ISAF acknowledged that Western Australia, with six deaths in the past four years, remained a “shark-attack hot spot”.
Overall, in 2013 the world experienced the lowest number of shark attacks since 2009, although last year’s 10 fatalities were above average.
The US had the most attacks, 47, but it was lower than its 2012 total of 54.

... Culling would be a very attractive option. Just as well that wasn't what I was angling for. :wink:
You're one hell of a devil's advocate, then, as no one here could possibly infer that based on your post history.

If, in fact, you aren't pushing for culling as your post history would indicate, why are you so adamant against fixing your poll for realistic options and insist no one but respondents make comments?

Last week seven people got killed in shark attacks . . .

I've done a news search and just can't find any data to back up your claim.

Did you mean to say the last 3 years?

The chances of being taken by a shark in Western Australia state are remote -- but appear to be rising. Of the 20 people killed by sharks in the state over the last century, seven died in the past three years, according to the state government, which has found a statistically significant increase in attacks since 1995.

I've done a news search and just can't find any data to back up your claim.

Did you mean to say the last 3 years?

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Actually he meant to say that last week 7,000 sharks were killed in people attacks. Let's put this in perspective.

Last week seven people got killed in shark attacks and I'm the government official charged with sorting out the mess.

How many were Scuba divers?

According to all the stats in the world, there has not been enough fatal shark attacks to stop me diving.
...much less on scuba divers. (And no, I don't call a certified scuba diver on a dive boat doing a little snorkling a scuba diver in this regard)

With all due sympathy to the family members, you should be applying the best science to your decision, not some populist knee-jerk reaction.

I was speaking hypothetically highlighting how attempts to skew results can backfire.

The poll asks divers to consider at what point they would stop diving based on the number of fatal shark attacks in their region. Simple.

I was speaking hypothetically highlighting how attempts to skew results can backfire.

Wait. . . so when you said
Last week seven people got killed in shark attacks

You were just pulling this out of your ass ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom