How many got in a New Years Day dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nivtup

Reaction score
Well I had to do it, starting the New Year dedicated to more time in the water. (Good resolution hey?)

After a slow start,
(forgot reg at home, this part belongs in that other thread)

We Dove on Sund Rock in Hood Canal today,

After what was shaping up to be a great dive anyway, we came across a very large octopus that was out for a stroll. We got to swim with it for several minutes. What a gorgeous site. Quite interesting the way those tentacles are always searching in crevices.

We also saw several ling cod guarding their eggs, they seem to be a little bit protective of their nest, it was interesting to watch them as the octopus approached, they got all excited.

One question,

What would happen to cost an octopus a complete tentacle, this one had one arm cut off near the body?

So, lets hear about your New Years dive.

Don

Joined BillP at Clear Springs today. It's been open about 6 months now, and is an old rock quarry. We dove the north end today, and there were many piles of rocks. The rest of the lake is Hydrilla and moonscape in the deeper parts. They have several very nice training platforms and are being carefull about what they dump in. The owner, Debbie, did her first dive since the 80's today, her first drysuit dive, and they gave away some nice T shirts. Drysuit diving is uncommon in Texas, but is catching on.

I usually dive in the caves of Missouri in the Winter and am used to the temps, so I felt a little foolish with my Polar Bear Certificate and T shirt, but what the heck, we got wet.

Met a couple of other folks from this board out there today. It was a pleasure.

Dave

Did our traditional NYE underwater champagne sipping at Blakely Rock. Perfect conditions for a night dive. No rain, water like glass, relatively warm (for Seattle in December) minimal current. Did a "warm up" dive followed by some chow and snacks, then got back in the water and settled down to a depth of 35ft just before midnight. At the stroke of midnight, the cork was popped and everyone took a turn sipping the bubbly.

As for the octopus losing an arm, could have been a predator such as a six gill or seal, or it may have got snagged on someone's fishing line.

Originally posted by nivtup
Well I had to do it, starting the New Year dedicated to more time in the water. (Good resolution hey?)

After a slow start,
(forgot reg at home, this part belongs in that other thread)

We Dove on Sund Rock in Hood Canal today,

After what was shaping up to be a great dive anyway, we came across a very large octopus that was out for a stroll. We got to swim with it for several minutes. What a gorgeous site. Quite interesting the way those tentacles are always searching in crevices.

We also saw several ling cod guarding their eggs, they seem to be a little bit protective of their nest, it was interesting to watch them as the octopus approached, they got all excited.

One question,

What would happen to cost an octopus a complete tentacle, this one had one arm cut off near the body?

So, lets hear about your New Years dive.

Don

But I know it was really only two dives with a few extra surfacings to splain some things to the *protege*....

Blakely Rock eh..... now that is almost as good as my 12 o'clock dive in the hot tub last night... purdy fireworks too....

Jerry Erlich just related a tale of the octopus that had a tangle with a wolf eel right in front of him at North Wall/Sund Rock....

Made a dive today at Lake Travis with some friends.

The air temperature was 36, the water temp at the surface was 59 and at depth was 54. So that makes it a warm water dive, right? Since the water was 20 degrees warmer than the air?

Oh and it started snowing too.

Love this sport!!!

I was in the water in BC near Nanaimo for New Year's eve & New Year's day. We had a spectacular midnight dive last night at Alcalla(sp?) Wall in Porlier Pass. A few minutes after we dropped in my buddy & I came across another team of divers. They were filming a large octo out in the open. I noticed them just as the octo wrapped its arms around the champagne bottle and pulled the whole thing under its mantle. It looked like it was trying take the cork off the bottle but then politely passed it back to the divers. Just amazing! We saw a second small octo slinking along the base of the wall a bit later in the dive. After about 30 minutes in 40 degree water and 70fsw we called it a dive! We saved the champaigne for the skiff and headed back to the big boat for a dive in the hot tub & some stronger libation.

Today at Race Point we got our first exercise of the new year swimming against the current. We saw huge sponges & ling cod & chitons & an octo at our safety stop.

What a weekend!!!!

-K

2 dives at Japanese fuel piers. Vis a low 35 feet, water temp a chilly 82 deg. I got to find warmer water ;-}

Rooster

WOW Kate,

That sounds like an incredible experience with the octopus and champagne.

As many of you know I frequent this board and the Diverlink board. The following was also posted on Diverlink and refers to divers who are found there. Dennis is also on this board.

After what was arguably the worst day in the history of bad days at work, I hit the road for the east coast shortly before 6 PM. The roads were wet from the all day rain, but traffic was light and I made surprisingly good time. I had been concerned with missing the 9 PM departure time, but MB assured me they'd hold the boat (at least a minute or two) for me. By the time I reached the Miccosukee reservation, I knew that was unlikely to be a problem. I arrived at the dock at about 8:15, met the captain and DM and began loading my equipment. They graciously offered to help, but believed me when I told them I preferred to handle it myself. Captain Rob glanced at my equipment and said this was probably my first dive. We then launched into a discussion of old Scubapro gear as well as Scubapro reps & former reps. Shortly after 8:30 Moo arrived followed in close order by the rest of the group, Dennis & Donna, MB, Augie, Marla, Ryan, Kendall and Barbara (one of MB's students and coworkers, along for the ride and the joy of meeting a group of Diverlinkers). Donna & Barbara sat the dive out and enjoyed the boat ride while everyone else readied their gear for the dive. We had an enjoyable ride to the reef near the Copenhagen Wreck. After tying up to a mooring buoy, Captain Rob tod us we had a south current (currents are opposite of winds) so he tied us slightly north of the wreck. We had decided to dive as a group of 8 keeping all the Diverlinkers together. Usually with this group, everyone tries to avoid carrying the float, but tonight MB volunteered right away to (he says) avoid that scenerio. Hitting the water, I waited for the entire group to get in then headed under at 10:01 PM.
As we decended, we got together and followed MB north. Ryan and I immediately asked each other what in the heck MB was up to since the wreck was south. What is it with MB and navigation? OTOH, we've seen the wreck and the reef near the Copenhagen is a nice dive. For those of you who made the night dive at DL 2001 Pompano, this is the same reef, but we were traveling in the opposite direction. We tended for most of the dive to stay in two groups of 4. MB, Moo, Dennis and I were one group while Marla, Augie, Kendall and Ryan were always in sight.

The pixie dust was above average for Florida, but far from magical as it had been last New Year's Eve. We kept our lights off for most of the dive and enjoyed the swim (while we planned to drift with the current there was none). Watching Dennis, MB, and Moo I once again reflected on how much a joy it is to dive with really competent divers. Buoyancy control, trim and the normal details are second nature to them all and I'm able to relax.

Eventually, we were beginning to get chilled, so we came up together and boarded the boat. Most everyone wanted to watch the fireworks at midnight, so we headed back toward the inlet.

I broke out my W1K flask for a small sip to warm everyone in our group.

Moo and I tossed our tanks back on for our midnight dive, hitting the water at 11:56. We were not on the prettiest reef in the neighborhood, but there were fish, several varieties of soft coral and lots of sponges. We had fun. Moo took a picture of my watch as it turned to midnight. On reaching the surface, we saw fireworks to the north. They were almost as beautiful as being underwater.

Dive 1: 34 ft for 1 hour 7 minutes at 73 degrees F Fun index 8.7

Dive 2: 31 ft for 10 minutes 73 degrees F Fun index 8.9

After the dive we all toasted the New Year and our good friends.

DSSW,

WWW™

Several of us that also frequent the Diverlink board met for the 2nd annual New Years Eve dive in South Florida. The weather cleared for us as we exited the Hillsboro inlet and the seas were nearly glassy. A full moon, Jupiter at the zenith, what a night.

I saw many many spiny lobster and one was probably the largest I have ever seen under water. Water temps were at 67 / 68 deg F on the surface and 72 deg F at 30 ft. We dove near the Copenhagen wreck on the second reef line off the beach. Total time was 1 hour 7 minutes.

Then we watched the fireworks and drank some bubbly while two of our divers were making their 2nd dive in order to be underwater at midnight. A wonderful evening and with great friends. It could not have been better.

4 to 6 ft surf
3 to 4 ft surge
heavy currents
wind and rain.

Nope, no new year beach diving,
and the boats cancelled there trips.

Sat at home and drank. :grrr:

Back
Top Bottom