How many lights needed for the GoPro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sjukich

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have the GoPro Hero 2 that I have taken diving with me in Hawaii and Belize and I love the video but I would love it even more if the colors looked better. I just used a Blurfix housing with Cyan filter and no light so obviously I need lighting. My question is how many? I was thinking about getting the SRP tray and one or two SOLA lights. I normally use the GoPro on the narrow or medium angle, with that said, will one SOLA 500 be enough or should I get 2 for wider angles. Or should I just get a single SOLA 1200? Thanks.

@sjukich - This is really a loaded question. LOL

My Rig:

SRP Camera Tray
SRP Flex Arms
2 x Sola 500 Photos
BlurFix
Cy Screw on filter
GoPro Hero2

How I use my Rig

0-10 ft. Wide Angle (1- 6 ft or more from Subject) Day Time
GoPro HERO2
BlurFix with UV FIlter

15-60ft Wide Angle Shots (1-4 ft from Subject) Day Time
GoPro HERO2
BlurFix with Screw on CY FIlter
SRP Camera Tray

15-60ft Wide Angle Shots (6 ft or more from Subject) Day Time
GoPro HERO2
SRP Camera Tray

60 ft and deeper (1 ft or more from subject) Day Time
GoPro HERO2
SRP Camera Tray
SRP Flex Arms
2 x Sola 500 Photo **Don't burn subject - 2 two Lights for better control of shadows.

Penetration and Night dives regardless of depth

GoPro HERO2
SRP Camera Tray
SRP Flex Arms
2 x Sola 500 Photo **Don't burn subject - 2 two Lights for better control of shadows.

GoPro HERO2 works best from 1 - 6 feet from subject ** This is just my opinion.

The above are good guidelines but definitely not hard facts. Remember that shooting video is an art form and several variables can drastically alter the above rules. I'm sure others have some great shooting formulas with and without lights. Hope this helps!

My Rig:

SRP Camera Tray
SRP Flex Arms
2 x Sola 500 Photos
BlurFix
Cy Screw on filter
GoPro Hero2

How I use my Rig

GoPro HERO2
BlurFix with UV FIlter

GoPro HERO2
SRP Camera Tray

GoPro HERO2
SRP Camera Tray

GoPro HERO2
SRP Camera Tray
SRP Flex Arms

GoPro HERO2
SRP Camera Tray
SRP Flex Arms

The above are good guidelines but definitely not hard facts. Remember that shooting video is an art form and several variables can drastically alter the above rules. I'm sure others have some great shooting formulas with and without lights. Hope this helps!

Dude your awesome. Thanks

I have the same setup as Aquapro HD and use it much the same, 2 lights will help you both control shadows and fill the frame better if using the wide modes. Also with lights I like to use the LCD bacpac to get the best light spread through the frame as this is quite hard to judge without a screen especially if using different FOV's and subject distances as the aim needs to be adjusted to suit.

There are times where you may be too deep and lights wont help as you dont want to get too close to the subject or as in my recent dives if I approached the sharks with lights on they would swim off pretty quick. I dont really want to be 2ft from a sharks mouth with lights on anyway in-case it gets a little upset with me as showing a camera in its face without lights didn't have the same negative effect lol.

A single Sola 1200 will fill about half the wide frame from normal shooting distances so 2 Sola's are probably the best way to go and the lumens are just down to what your willing to spend and will give you more light to work with if needed.

The answer does not depend on having the GoPro or not and is always the same: two lights
This because with one you cast shadows.
However a single light can be sufficient for Macro and close up less than one foot, as the GoPro does not focus at that distance it means that with it you either shoot with ambient light or with two lights and better be good

My Rig:

SRP Camera Tray
SRP Flex Arms
2 x Sola 500 Photos
BlurFix
Cy Screw on filter
GoPro Hero2

How I use my Rig

GoPro HERO2
BlurFix with UV FIlter

GoPro HERO2
SRP Camera Tray

GoPro HERO2
SRP Camera Tray

GoPro HERO2
SRP Camera Tray
SRP Flex Arms

GoPro HERO2
SRP Camera Tray
SRP Flex Arms

what setting do you use? 1080? or 720?

@KJSmith84 - I use both. That said... If I know I'm going to do closeup work (not Macro/GoPro is not designed to do Macro) I like the 1080/30FPS since I'm fairly sure that I won't slow things down in post. I like 720p/60fps just in case I get some fast moving action and might like to do slow motion in post and want the extra frames.

But the number one factor that I use to determine my setting is, where my audience will view my video. 720P on a nice computer screen looks almost as good as 1080p but is easier for the viewer to download. Great for Youtube and Vimeo. If I'm going to display my video on TV then I use 1080p.

Food for thought... It makes no difference if you use 720p or 1080p if you copy/burn your video to a DVD since the quality is compressed from HD to DV. Solution to this is to copy/burn to Blue Ray. Hope this helps?

Thank u. I wad told that 1080 helps let more light in getting a clearer vid??? I didn't believe that guy. I will try 720 this weekend.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Twin Solas, the 500's only have spot beam, not a flood wide angle mode, like the 600's 800's or 1200's.

My twin 600's met my performance needs and price point as I them for $600 for the pair. That same $600 only buys a single 1200, plus then you need to budge in arms, I used flex line-loc system all bought through Backscatter.

Yes I've compared the Sola 600 side by side with the 1200's, and the 1200's ARE much brighter, but it comes down to $$$$$$$ and you're end results you want.

But by all means get twin lights.

Back
Top Bottom