How many times can I extend my tourist visa?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kupu

ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am getting my plans together for my annual dive vacation, and this year looking to spend about 4 months roaming the dive spots in Indonesia.

It looks like my best bet to deal with the visa requirements will be to get an advance 60 day visa here in the US before I leave and then make a visa run after my 60 days is up to extend my stay. But I can't seem to find solid confirmation that I will be allowed back in the country after I have used up 60 days, info on the Indonesian consulate site does not state the maximum number of annual renewals allowed for a tourist visa. :confused:

I have found hints on various forums that I should be able to do monthly visa runs to extend my stay indefinitely, but I would like to hear from someone who has 1st hand experience extending a stay in Indonesia past 60 days.

My general understanding is that tourist visas (be it a 30 day visa on arrival or a 60 day visa) are not supposed to be renewed in country though you always hear talk of someone who knew someone etc. Visa runs can be expensive.

I know people who do it all the time. Have not done it myself. I know a couple who flew from Manado, Indonesia to Davao, Philippines with the intention of arriving, getting stamped in and then getting stamped out and going back on the same plane back to Manado!!. Don't know if they were successful.

If you have the time, cheaper than flying to Singapore from Jakarta (for example) would be to fly from Jakarta to Batam Island (domestic flights would be cheaper) which is still in Indonesia, yet very close (about 20 km or 13 miles) to Singapore, Get a ferry to Singapore from Batam Island (45mins, about Singapore $25). Go to Singapore and then back to Batam. Batam is (always double check) a visa on arrival port. Remember to have US$25 for your new visa 30 day visa on arrival in Batam.

There is an Indonesia Embassy in Singapore. I don't know if they give 60 day visa at all and whether they would have a problem with giving you another one after being there for sixty days.

There have been rumors ( I was in Indonesia in April 200)7 that there may be someday a sixty day visa on arrival, so best to always keep checking.

Cheers on the tip on Jakarta to Singapore via Batam. I will certainly have the time and don't mind taking the scenic route. I have also heard rumors of the 60 day VOA, that would be wonderfully simple, but without confirmation I reckon I'll do it the hard way here at home.

I expect I will make it up to Davao sooner or later during this trip, I am a big fan of the Philippines and hope to visit some friends and favorite divesites in Davao and GenSan. So I figure that will be good for one visa run.

So I am clear on the fact that visa extensions are not difficult, but still not 100% clear on the maximum stay allowed in a given year. As long as I briefly leave the country every month or two for a visa run, is Indonesia a country that allows dive bums to hang out and spend tourist cash as long as I want, or is there a max stay allowance after which they kick me out?

Thanks for all info, I'm getting stoked to be heading back to SE Asia again for some more diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom