• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

How many wetsuits do you have?

Discussion in 'Exposure Suits' started by Scott 2000, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Biotech Diver

Biotech Diver Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Oh I hope you didn’t think I was implying that because that’s not at all what I was thinking. If it weren’t for the jellyfish stings and fire coral rashes I would be more inclined to just wear shorts. It’s nice to drop a couple of pounds of weights, but again it’s less of a safety risk to wear a wetsuit.

wheeledgoat likes this.
  2. tbone1004

tbone1004 Technical Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    3mm shorty-or at least it used to be 3mm. Helps cut the chill if I'm doing cool dives *70's*, or short exposures in the 60's with warm surface temps
    3mm steamer-preferred wetsuit, good to 70f for about 2 hours, preferably with a hood
    7mm steamer-don't like it, but it's a necessary evil for teaching
    6.5mm semi-dry-same as above
    hooded vest-makes the 3mm steamer comparable to the 7mm. I accept colder limbs for more flexibility
    Drysuit

3. JMBL

JMBL Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    You're a wise man ! :wink: No need to play the prima dona once we're over 40, I'll be 50 next year, with 3 decades of diving. Being cold is no longer an option, when I started I was a student, so buying an heavier wetsuit was just a dream. But nowadays, I just quote my favourite line from 'Lethal weapon' : I'm too old for this s... ! :D

Biotech Diver likes this.
  4. Biotech Diver

Biotech Diver Nassau Grouper

I’ve experienced diuresis while diving even when I didn’t feel cold. It’s the body’s way of saying you need to stop the heat loss before I stop you!

5. Eric Sedletzky

Eric Sedletzky Great White

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I used to have ten,
    now I have four, not including a hooded vest.
    I also have parts of other suits stored like a vintage 1/4” Rubatex G-231 jacket but no bottoms for it, another suit that got too stiff but I use neoprene from it for other things.
    So, four “operational” suits.

6. KDAD

KDAD Manta Ray

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    One. A 3mm which I will use down to 70 deg or even lower, depending on the dive. Otherwise, I dive dry. As much as I love the water, diving dry is nice.

7. Capt. T. Goetz

Capt. T. Goetz Barracuda

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    I have 5 . One 1mm, one 3mm, 2 shorties 4mm, and a 7mm padded with hood and i use ffm with that and semi dry gloves. Honestly the 5mm i used to have is the best of both worlds.

8. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Solo Diver

3mm shorty, Bahamas one trip.
    3mm full. The warm water go to. Protection when doing wrecks.
    5mm full. My old go to suit. The one I used for everything when I only had one. With hooded vest, interlocked gloves and boots to limit water flow (near semi-dry) I could keep up with a typical 7mm in soCal. And was comfy all the way up to not needing anything.
    Drysuit. Not a wetsuit. Took over the 5mm. More cold water.

Which leaves 2 suits I use. 3mm full in warm locations. And a drysuit for anything cold.
    But I can't knock that 5mm, it got a LOT of use when it was the only one. Probably half wore out now, lots of use.

9. scuba2you

scuba2you Angel Fish

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    That still fits? :nomoney: Maybe one...

Biotech Diver likes this.
  10. TrimixToo

TrimixToo Regular of the Pub

None. But I have three dry suits.

vioch likes this.