How many wetsuits to bring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

potato cod

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A few years ago I went on my first liveaboard in Australia, which was also my first dive trip ever. Not knowing any better, I only brought one swimsuit, and quickly realized that having a couple more so that I wouldn't have had to keep putting on the same cold, wet suit would have been nice.

Now, I am heading off on my second liveaboard (to Belize) in January and, having learned my lesson with regards to swimsuits, I'm wondering if I ought to bring a second wetsuit for the same reason. My husband already has a couple appropriate wetsuits, so no problem there.

I currently have a 3mm jane + 3mm jacket combo, plus a hooded vest, but I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to pick up a 5mm for cooler dives later in the day and so that I have a nice dry wetsuit as I get cooler after multiple dives. On the other hand, I'd actually rather get a 7mm suit because it would be more useful for local diving also.

So, what do you think? Do most people bring more than one wetsuit on a liveaboard, or is that overkill and too much bulk?

Is a 7mm suit for diving in Belize in January ridiculous? I am quite thin and get cold easily, but maybe that's overkill too.

cheers,
Cod

Depends on how cold you get . I'd bring the seven an unzip it if it was too warm, thats just me. Or, loose a glove for a while that'll surely cool you down.

When We did the PH liveaboard in July my daughter brought both her 3 and 5 mm wetsuits and ended up diving the 5 all week.

She does get cold easily. I was fine with a 3 mm all week!

I dive with three suits. One is always dry. Great padding for camera gear.

Everyone is different re cold. I was happy in a 1/2mil shorty in Belize and then a 3 mil full for night dives. One trip my buddy was in a t-shirt most dives. Another trip different buddy wore a 5 mil and a hood and our dives ended when she was cold - 60 min dives so no issues.

Take a hood - if you get cold it will help alot.

You can always unzip the 7mil to cool off and then you have a usefull suit for local dives.

It depends on how cold you get. Everyone is different. One of my buddies dives in a t-shirt and another will wear a 5mm, with a 3mm hooded vest and gloves when we travel to the Caribbean.

I dove Mayaguana Bahamas last April and spend the majority of the week in my 5mm, of which I have only 1. I had brought it just in case along with my 2 3mm suits. We had had different reports on water temps -- and I HATE being cold.

I bring 2 suits so I have a nice dry one to get into. Well....at least the inside is dry because I hang my suits wrong side out to dry the inside first. I travel with 2 suits because I have just scene people have suit blow outs and other emergencies. I hate hoods, but use a reef hood for night dives. For me, I find that I stay warmer if I wear gloves.

That all changes if I'm diving at home which is the Northeast. I wear a dry suit year around with heavy hood and gloves.

If a 7 mm would be more useful for your local diving then I would get that and take both it and your jane with jacket combo. I am also thin and get cold very easily. In fact we were in Roatan (which of course is just south of Belize) this past August. I took a 3mm and 5mm with plans to alternate between the 2 so I would always have something dry and warm to get into. In the past I have found this to be very effective on my liveaboards trips. We did 4-5 dives a day while in Roatan and after the first 2 dives I used the 5mm and never went back to the 3mm for the rest of the week. Even though the water temp was 82, I was perfectly fine in my 5mm. :D

Some of us just colder than the rest so who cares if everyone looks at you strangely when you pull out a 5mm in the tropics...at least you are not shivering and uncomfortable in the water. And I would not hesitate to take a 7 mm to that area in Jan when temps will be a few degrees colder than when we were there in Aug.

I most always take my 3mm and 5mm on my liveaboard trips in the summer so if I did a trip in Jan I think I would bump it up to a 5mm and 7mm. Have fun!

My wife brings a 3mm, 1mm and a 3/5mm hooded vest. She starts out the day with the 3mm for the first 2 dives then puts the 3mm over the 1mm for the afternoon dives. If she does the night dive thats when the 3/5 comes in handy. Its all a matter of preference. I Just use my 3mm and depending on how the weather is going to be ( cloudy or sunny ) after the dive, I put on my 3/5. I've always felt that layering is better then just 1 suit. But like Tammy said that if you are going to do a lot of local diving that requires a 7mm and you get cold quickly, then that would be my recommendation.

I'll put in my 2 cents.....

I always come prepared - on the wopping 2 liveaboards I've done :)

I did the Kona Aggressor II in Aug '09 and wore my full length 3mm in water that was between 78-80 degrees all week. There was only one time where I layered my 3mm shorty on top and even that was not necessary - but nice to have. I definitely have to say if you don't have a hood, adding a bunch of layers around your body won't do much since your head loses so much heat so easily.

In PNG this past April, I wore a rash guard and swim trunks most dives and brought along a 1mm full wetsuit for the shark dives and the night dives. I had a 3mm shorty just in case but never needed it.

Bottom line, everyone is different and NO bringing more than one wetsuit along is not a bad idea. It provides padding for your fragile gear so therefore it serves an extra purpose in that regard as well.

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like a new 7mm wetsuit is on my holiday wish list.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom