How many wraps for Speargun Shooting Line one can/should have on a band gun?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
How many wraps for Speargun Shooting Line on a gun one should have on a band gun? What are the factors to consider in answering this question?

I have a band gun that came with a Mono line that can do about 3 1/2 wraps on this gun (75cm gun) but I am not sure if I can/should use all of the line to make the 3 1/2 wraps or if there is a "rule" that controls the number of wraps.

Does it matter if it is an open or a closed muzzle gun?

Does it matter if it is an open or a closed muzzle gun with reel?

There is no need to have more shooting line than the effective shooting range of the gun. Most people are going to shoot with a single wrap. this assumes that the line is attached to the rear of the shaft, so you have a length of line going from the muzzle back to the rear of the shaft. Maybe you are calling this portion of line a "half wrap" (which makes sense) but most people don't count the half wrap distance when describing their line set up.

Some people will want a double wrap. this makes the gun harder and slower to wrap up after a shot and gives the fish more line to get tangles in the bottom. So one or two wraps is going to be the norm. nobody would use 3 wraps on a short gun.

The open muzzle versus closed muzzle and a reel will not be related to the amount of line wraps chosen as best I can figure.

This link might be useful for you, and describes how to rig a single wrap.

Also I have some directions for actually cutting the shooting line and replacing it.

http://www.makospearguns.com/rigging-shooting-line-open-muzzle-a/257.htm

thanks

Dano

...Does it matter if it is an open or a closed muzzle gun?...

You might want to re-phrase this question as ......Does it matter if it is an 'Open Track' or an "Enclosed Track" gun ?

I like two wraps because with one wrap the slide wore out the flare on the end of the shaft and kept getting stuck. I put some small weights on my line so it would drop down instead of just hanging in the water which made it much easier to wrap again for the next shot. On top of all that I'm pretty sure there have been some shots that I might have missed if the line was shorter.

this assumes that the line is attached to the rear of the shaft, so you have a length of line going from the muzzle back to the rear of the shaft. Maybe you are calling this portion of line a "half wrap" (which makes sense) but most people don't count the half wrap distance when describing their line set up.

Here is what I mean,

1. Line attached to rear of spear.

2. Line goes from rear of spear to to muzzle and back to line release at the back of gun at the handle. Line wraps around the line release and goes to the front of the gun/muzzle and either attaches to the front of the gun/muzzle making a one wrap, or goes back to the line release for another wrap and back to front of gun making a two wrap and so on for more wraps. Essentially, "wrap" is how many times it wraps around the "line release."

It is my understanding now that it only needs to wrap around the line release once and back to front of the gun/barrel for attachment and not more. First wrap makes the line length three lengths of the gun barrel or line length will be 3 X barrel length while the additional wrap(s) are only two barrel lengths.

You might want to re-phrase this question as ......Does it matter if it is an 'Open Track' or an "Enclosed Track" gun ?

Doesn't "Open Track" and "Enclosed Track" refer to the the spear track that runs the entire length of the gun barrel? I am referring to the part at the end of the barrel:

Closed Muzzle:

Close and Open Muzzle 18-08-23 ver 01-BZM.jpg

Open Muzzle:

Open Muzzle 18-08-23 ver 01-BZM.jpg

because with one wrap the slide wore out the flare on the end of the shaft and kept getting stuck. I put some small weights on my line so it would drop down instead of just hanging in the water which made it much easier to wrap again for the next shot.

I am not sure that I understand or picture what you mean. When you have the chance, it will be great if you can post a picture(s) of what you did please.

Doesn't "Open Track" and "Enclosed Track" refer to the the spear track that runs the entire length of the gun barrel?..
Yes
In spearfishing we always say " Gun's don't kill,,,,,,,,,,Accuracy does "

Every open track gun when fired will have even the slight degree of shaft bend (whip). It's physic's and commonly called the ' Archer's Paradox' {Plenty of youtube videos} This is why an arrow can shoot around a tree and hit a target directly behind it.

An enclosed track eliminates shaft whip and the archer's paradox and gives you greater accuracy at increased lengths. The open track's answer to missed shots is " you need to get closer " Which absolutely works because open track accuracy suffers as the distance increases.

There is a reason why Winchester does not make open track rifles,,,,,,,increased accuracy.

For pelagics with bigger multi band guns 20+ feet / 7m of shooting line is not uncommon.
For bottom fish I use a single wrap of approximately 8 feet/ 2.5m.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom