How much better is the strobe than the video light for photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does it make a difference for macro photography ?

I imagine the lighting power necessary for macro is much lower than for wide angle. Would a 3000 lumen video light be sufficient and maybe better since the lighting is constant which should help with focus and exposure control ?

Does it make a difference for macro photography ?

I imagine the lighting power necessary for macro is much lower than for wide angle. Would a 3000 lumen video light be sufficient and maybe better since the lighting is constant which should help with focus and exposure control ?

I don't know if you could get black backgrounds in macro using a video light; I think in general a video light will limit the available shutters/apertures you can use to get the exposure you desire.

I don't know if you could get black backgrounds in macro using a video light; I think in general a video light will limit the available shutters/apertures you can use to get the exposure you desire.
Most macro photo subjects I see are in the sand or have something in the close background, so I forgot about that. But what you say is true and would be a limitation of video lights.

Ok a few clarifications - lets assume I have a good knowledge of photography above water and have used a strobe to stop a humming bird's wins above water - something I could not do with the camera alone.

I'll be diving mostly in the pacific northwest with a few trips to the tropics. I will not be diving in caves.

I'm considering these three packages from Sealife. Advice on these 3 packages - what you would pick and why would be great. Obiviously the last one give the best of both worlds bt if there isn't much advantage I would rahter spend the money on more diving.

DC2000 camera + Seadragon Flash
DC2000 camera + Seadragon 2500 video /photo light
DC2000 camera + Seadragon Flash + Seadragon 2300 video / photo light

Thanks!

Ok a few clarifications - lets assume I have a good knowledge of photography above water and have used a strobe to stop a humming bird's wins above water - something I could not do with the camera alone.

I'll be diving mostly in the pacific northwest with a few trips to the tropics. I will not be diving in caves.

I'm considering these three packages from Sealife. Advice on these 3 packages - what you would pick and why would be great. Obiviously the last one give the best of both worlds bt if there isn't much advantage I would rahter spend the money on more diving.

DC2000 camera + Seadragon Flash
DC2000 camera + Seadragon 2500 video /photo light
DC2000 camera + Seadragon Flash + Seadragon 2300 video / photo light

Thanks!
I think those of us who have tried to do decent still photography using a video light decided to spend the extra money and get a strobe. Yes, it is sometimes possible with just a video light, but even then it demands compromises I'm not keen on. So, if you are interested in JUST stills, get the flash. If you are interested in JUST video, get the video light. If you want to do both, get both lights and suck it up. Note: in shallow, clear water, you can do decent video with no additional light at all, just a "red" filter or some serious post-processing. So if you want to space out your purchases, get the strobe now and the video light later.

Long ago and far away I calculated/measured the optical output (in lumens) of my Z240 strobe and it was on the order of 9-11Million lumens. So it is a lot brighter than a 3K lumen LED lamp. That being said, you can get some nice macro from this setup IF you raise the ISO enough and shoot raw and color correct later. Unfortunately in my hands at least the SeaLife is not quite the best choice for high ISO shooting. I would get both the video light and the strobe (and if it were me, I would not get the SeaLife strobes/video lights) but rather something that will grow with you since you will upgrade and you will need the focus light for optimal camera work.
Bill

The camera is $700. The 2500 light is $400, the strobe is $400. If it were me, I would get an S2000/YS03 strobe and a small video/focus light.
In any case enjoy and show us some photos.
Bill

I have the Sea Dragon Flash and 2500 Video Light. I use primarily the flash for my still photos; only use the video light for dark crevices and on night dives (actually use it as my primary dive light). For video, I have a GoPro with red filter. I have found that the red filter gives me better video color than a light which has limited distance and field of view. I am sure there are better set ups, but this is what I have found works for me through trial and error.

You're forgetting the fourth option... Using two strobes, which is what I use, but I primarily take photos with very little video. For photos, I just prefer to not mix two different light sources on different sides of the image (one strobe and one light) since the white balance and lighting will likely not be even. As lilnik suggested, attaching a light or focus light to the cold shoe is another option for video.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom