How much classroom and pool instruction do you need to be ready to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darya3018

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm an 18 year old girl who wants to learn scuba diving. I've noticed there are classes available that offer one 6 hour pool session, and are then followed by beach dives. I don't want to rush the learning process, and I'm skeptical that one pool session can really teach you everything before you enter the ocean. An online portion also has to be completed, but I feel that learning something online and learning something in person can be very different. Do you guys think that this is enough time to learn everything and be prepared for the certification dives?

6 hours is enough for some folks...I wouldn't want to do it in one session though. Most people benefit from repetition. My stock class is 4 2 hour pool sessions. Based on student progression it could be 6 or 10 2 hour pool sessions.

Hi, Darya.

I think it's good that you approach this with skepticism. I think it's a good thing to have when it comes to diving and the right attitude for it; if you are ever unsure about something, ask questions, or don't follow through with it. It's a great example of not diving because something doesn't feel right. You don't have to give a good reason to not dive.

Back to your original question. The pool sessions are practical skills that you will need to know how to do in the ocean. There isn't an overwhelming amount that you have to learn and you will get to practice it many times in the pool. Most students that I have seen go through the course find that the pool session is enough for execution in the ocean. I do suggest that you schedule your ocean and pool days not too far apart so that the skills are still fresh in your mind, as is the feeling of being underwater if that is your first time.

For e-learning (online), this is mostly theory and also about procedures, what things are, how they work, but aren't substitutes for learning in person. They complement and will help build a foundation for the skills that you will also be going over in the pool.

For the vast majority of students, this is enough time and is good but of course, individual learning styles and rates differ and if you feel that at the end of the session, you need more, you can always speak with your instructor or the dive shop and schedule further time, perhaps one on one.

It varies, by the student and what kind of diver you want to exit the class as. I'd say a single 6 hour pool class is not for most people.

Two 4 hours seems to be the common PADI approach around here, with SSI doing something like 8 two hour or four 3 hour sessions over a month (This is means you and all your gear are in your car when the session is over - it's not as much pool time as you might think per session.) The PADI course has a classroom session before the first pool (and extensive e-learning), SSI has one before each pool session. Both then have the 4 open water dives after that, PADI only allows 3 training dives per day, not sure about SSI, but I think they both take 2 days.

GUE runs (occasionally) a week long course with long days with like 14 dives as part of it, including pool and open water.

A consideration about learning online VS. physical classroom. It's a personal preference with the same knowledge based material being presented, just whichever format fits your learning style. The hands on will be with your instructor.

In my opinion, one pool session is definitely not enough no matter how comfortable you are in the water. There is a great deal to be gained through the repetition of several classes and the time in between to digest the information.

I would say that 3-4 2 hour sessions is about right depending on strength of the student and how much the the instructor wants to cover over just the basics. If I was going about this today, I would give a slight preference to the course that provided more individual sessions than "total time"..ie 3 sessions at 3 hours each is better than 2 session at 5 hours each.

One 6 hour pool session. My whole body would be a prune!

Not knowing where you are from, but that you are young, is there possibly that there is a scuba instructor who teaches at the local high school or college that also teaches groups of future divers on the side? Are there other scuba facilities in your area that offer the course in a different time frame?

I don't want to rush the learning process, and I'm skeptical that one pool session can really teach you everything before you enter the ocean. An online portion also has to be completed, but I feel that learning something online and learning something in person can be very different.

I agree with you. Although my course was taken years ago, I really liked the once a week class and pool work. And having taken it with people I knew (my wife and son), we could help each other through the week on whatever module we were on.

When I did my SSI OW, we did 1.5 hour of pool + 1.5 hour theory on day 1. A bit more theory and 2 ocean dives on day 2. 1 hour pool + 2 ocean dives on day 3.

Grand total of 2.5 hours in the pool. Keeping in mind that a big chunk of the ocean dives are doing skill practice as well.

I've noticed there are classes available that offer one 6 hour pool session, and are then followed by beach dives. I don't want to rush the learning process, and I'm skeptical that one pool session can really teach you everything before you enter the ocean. ... Do you guys think that this is enough time to learn everything and be prepared for the certification dives?

Hi Darya, if you look around you'll likely find entry-level scuba cert courses that offer as few as zero classroom hours (i.e. you do everything online), 6 hours of pool, and four ocean dives... all completed in one weekend! At the other end of the spectrum you'll find classes offered at some universities that spend an entire semester, meeting several hours a week for 15 weeks, for a combined 45 hours of classroom and pool work. And then there are courses that fill in the spectrum of classroom and pool time in between these extremes.

The schedule you allude to definitely seems to be at the "quicker" end of the spectrum. An average scuba class probably will have you spend at least a few hours in the classroom and around 10 hours in the pool. And most important, should make you feel that you are adequately prepared for your first ocean dive.

So you are right to be skeptical: you found a schedule that offers the quickest possible way to get a cert card. This is great for people that just want a cert card. If you really want to learn and ensure that you are prepared for your certification dives, keep searching and find a course and instructor that doesn't ring your "skepticism alarm".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom