How much did it cost you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GreenDiverDown

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
So... how much did it cost you to become full cave certified?

I haven't added it up yet but I can estimate that it easily cost ME about 20 grand over the past 2 years. This would include gear, training, and trips to training land. This is just an estimate of my direct expenses. I would guess maybe twice that figure or $40,000 if I added up ALL of my expenses on my 'journey to cave' and that is probably WAY low... it's probably more like 60K. I don't know... it's just a gut feeling.

It's serious sh*&, though... and it ought to cost a lot. But please... don't tell my wife.

I believe the $20k estimate. Gear alone is an easy $5k, without counting the boat, compressor or the single tank stuff I got to free up the doubles gear for dedicated use.

2 sets doubles 2k
doubles regs 900
plate and 2x wings 700
primary light 600
backups 300
drysuit 1.5k

Just a bit of training, not even full cave can cost 3 or 4k:
lodging, car, food, airfare for 10 day trip to MX 1.6k
5 day cave1 class 1.5k

jeesh the list goes on....

Rainer:
Stephen, mind breaking costs down for those of us who haven't gone down the path?

I don't know... I think I'll have to break out the calculator.

Just gestimating I would say that I have spent about 6 to 8 on gear (in the last 2 years alone), 2 directly to the instructor (Cavern, Intro and Full), and 6-8 on 2 trips to the Yucatan (again, just in the last two years). Add to that the cost of my physical training program and the cost goes well above 20K. Shoot... I might be able to come up with another 5 with a little more thought. For instance, I could include a couple more trips to the Yucatan in the past two years. These were for cenote tours but were important to me in deciding whether or not I should pursue overhead training.

rjack321:
jeesh the list goes on....

Ya... exactly. Where do you draw the line? What do you count as a cost in achieving the goal? To me, it would include an awful lot of what I have spent over the past ten years... other training, gear, trips to wherever... I spent a heck of a lot of dough getting a huge amount of experience before I even considered any technical training.

I live in NC and I can go cave diving for several days in Florida cheaper than I can do a one day charter offshore here in NC (this is including gas for the drive, lodging, food and fills). As you can imagine, I don't do many charters. :wink:

Adding up all gear, courses (cavern- full), lodging and such, I think 20k is a bit high (for my experience anyway). Maybe closer to 10k. I'm not adding the price of regs, drysuits, and backplates as they were purchased for diving - not just cave diving.

This is strictly training - not including all the trips in-between classes.

marcinny:
How do you spend that much $$$$ and she does not know ???? :doctor:

Please tell me you secret !!!!

Regards

Marcin

In Mexico it's easy... a lot of Tequila!

This topic is NEVER supposed to be discussed!!!

Never, ever begin to total up the $'s spent on one's hobby!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom