How much extra neoprene for repetitive dives on liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Getting into a dry suit and then climbing into a rib to drive to the site might add 20 min to half an hour to a dive. If the suit is wet you are cooling off pretty much the whole time even before you get in the water. A dry wetsuit is just the opposite - you are getting warmer until you hit the water. 5 dives a day that is a significant difference.

There won't be any RIB rides off the liveaboards at Turks and Caicos. Taking multiple 5mm suits doesn't seem doable anyway.

Go with a full 5mm. I regularly do 4-5 dives a day for 7-14 days at a time. I run colder than most people and I dive a 5mm in tropical water, primarily 82-86F, sometimes creeping a little warmer than that on some dives. I have yet to feel “too hot” and have been glad to have it when thermoclines that lasted hit pretty hard. If you do get warm, you can always flush your neck. It’s my workhorse suit. After hundreds of dives, it’s probably closer to a 3 or 4mm, but if you start with a 3mm, it’ll get thinner than that as well. Err on the side of warmer.

I have above-average cold tolerance, but a Lavacore jumpsuit (neutrally buoyant but supposedly equivalent to 2mm of warmth) was a nice addition on a winter LOB in the southern Bahamas. I used it under a 3mm suit.

It rolls up to about the size of a sweater and is very easy to pack.

In my 3mm, with a Bare chillguard underneath and a hood, I can enjoy the later dives. If you already have a 5mm, might as well take it but if you don't, Chillguard (or Sharkskin or Lavacore) with hood will probably do the trick. Yes, staying warm between the dives is a very big part of it.

I don't recommend neoprene socks but lycra socks are a serious enhancement and I don't dive without them. No more blisters or rub spots for this kid.

I'm a big fan of mix and match rather than dedicated wetsuits of various thickness (up to a point)
For the temps discussed, I'd use my 3 -3.5mm Waterproof W3. I combine it with a 2mm hooded Undervest (which I wear as an over vest and a 1mm shorty undervest or skin. I'd take all 3 and then depending on the temps or time of day I can add or subtract.

Having hood you can pull up mid dive (I wear my mask strap under my hood) helps with thermoclines).

If I'm somewhere warmer I'll just use a skin and then hooded vest in the afternoons or night dives.

For longer trips I'll take 2 sharkskin tops, so I always have one dry one for first thing in the morning as it's' amazing how much a cold wet top can take away the temp.

Multiple thinner wetsuits also pack easier

^^^this stated so much better than the way I said it.

Also, I much prefer the layering of neutral bouyancy items whenever possible.

For T&C, I'd only take a 1.5 mil top.

I did Red Sea last year 4 dives/day in just that.

If your cold tolerance is slightly below average, I would recommend a 5mm suit and booties, plus bring a vest and a hood just in case. My cold tolerance is about average to maybe slightly below. On a recent trip to Bonaire this past late-winter water temps were 80-81 degrees. I had a 3mm full suit and a 3mm vest, and I was getting pretty chilled a couple of days into the trip with 3-4 dives per day. So were several of my fellow divers. A few wore 5mm suits and were fine, and a few warm people wore just 3mm suits with no vests and were fine. One guy wore board shorts and a rash guard and was fine, but he had quite a bit of "bioprene" on him.

Everyone is different, but if you are looking to pack just one suit for a range of water temps, I think a 5mm suit would be the way to go, plus a hood just in case since it doesn't take up much bag space.

If you're cold tolerance is slightly below average, I would recommend a 5mm suit and booties, plus bring a vest and a hood just in case. My cold tolerance is about average to maybe slightly below. On a recent trip to Bonaire this past late-winter water temps were 80-81 degrees. I had a 3mm full suit and a 3mm vest, and I was getting pretty chilled a couple of days into the trip with 3-4 dives per day. So were several of my fellow divers. A few wore 5mm suits and were fine, and a few warm people wore just 3mm suits with no vests and were fine. One guy wore board shorts and a rash guard and was fine, but he had quite a bit of "bioprene" on him.

Everyone is different, but if you are looking to pack just one suit for a range of water temps, I think a 5mm suit would be the way to go, plus a hood just in case since it doesn't take up much bag space.
That would probably be my choice - even if you feel the cold more than others it will still probably be warm enough.

If you get too hot during a dive, pull the neck open and let the water flush it. Even if you get too warm wearing the suit out of the water you can always find some water to pour down inside it.

There won't be any RIB rides off the liveaboards at Turks and Caicos. Taking multiple 5mm suits doesn't seem doable anyway.
Thanks! I'm going on the Explorer II through Single Divers; it looks like we will be giant striding right off the boat and able to get right into a hot shower afterward.

I appreciate everyone's input and welcome more (also welcome any trip advice beyond the subject of thermal protection.) I'm still not sure what suit(s) to bring, though I'll definitely get some lycra socks and toss my hood and Sharkskin jacket in my suitcase. Maybe I'll bring my 7mm and rent a thinner suit there too.

Back
Top Bottom