How Much is Too Much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trace, all I can say is that, at age 55, and after 23 fractures and 7 major operations with plates and bone grafts, what you consider sporting, I consider a possible six month layoff, and I stay home.

While I'm not as weathered and sage as some of our other posters, I'll still call a dive if I don't feel right about it. But some other times I've done dives where I wasn't completely comfortable with conditions and I've had the mixed experiences to start learning what my limit is. I guess I've made good enough decisions as I'm still here, and there's not a dive I regret (save for one, but that was due to company, not weather).

That being said, I'm still young, dumb and tough so maybe in a few years I'll be more apt to call it. That happened to me just this morning, my buddy woke up feeling nasty and decided not to go. That's why I'm on SB right now.

Peace,
Greg

There's not a dive I regret (save for one, but that was due to company, not weather).

There's a story there ... c'mon ... we gotta hear it ...

That being said, I'm still young, dumb and tough so maybe in a few years I'll be more apt to call it.

Sure beats being old, dumb and thinking you are still tough ...

... I resemble that remark.

3 words: Go To Bonaire.

Problem solved!

Depends on how big a boat you're heading out on,for the ride that is, & HOW OLD you are--When I was younger, in the early 90's, I used to head 30 to 40 miles offshore(SW La--Gulf of Mexico)in my 25' boat in 4 to 6' seas(for fishing only in those seas)......

Now for strickly diving, 6-10's are too much---if nothing else, getting back on's gunna be interesting....

3 words: Go To Bonaire.

Problem solved!

Jeepers, I hear that if you go to Bonaire they will steal everything but your underpants.

And maybe your underpants if you are sleeping soundly.

Which is precisely why I don't wear underpants. If they steal everything else, I want them to pay for their crimes!

You need to use that Ignore button on Pilot Fish. Then it will all be ok.

If I or my wife (buddy) calls a dive, we both sit it out together: NO QUESTIONS ASKED. Either of us can call a dive for any reason WITHOUT having to explain the reason. It's our rule and we stick by it religiously.

I typically consider my health and the effort of getting back on the boat (return to shore) as my measuring stick, but gear condition and other things may persuade me from diving.

I would rather miss a dive and lose some money on it so I will KNOW I am safe and healthy enough to dive another day.

Well, my (Gulf side) capt called it for today due to wind, so I don't lose any money or have to make a tough decision. He errs on the side of safety, which I respect, appreciate and admire. That WPB captain was considering only the bottom line -- putting profit ahead of diver safety -- I am convinced of that after reading these thoughtful posts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom