How much Lithium do you take?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

broncobowsher

Contributor
Reaction score
Batteries that is. After another "how many tanks" thread I was figuring how I was going to pack batteries for travel, flight restrictions, carry on, etc. Realized I travel with a lot of lithium batteries and it is going up.

The phone is a simple enough thing to start the count.
Laptop for some more
Gopro has another tiny lithium battery, and the spare.
Lights? Well there were about 3 small ones. But I just added a UWLD and that gets a lot more.
Dive computers, couple more.
The spare Lithium Energizer battery for one of the computers.
Transmitters, and spares.
Couple of DeWalt power tool batteries for a Blacktip that just arrived.

And all this has to be carry on, not allowed in cargo.
That's a lot of batteries.

I usually take enough to have a battery set for each dive day. Most of my stuff uses either 18650 or AA, except my cameras which use proprietary packs.
All of them go into an individual plastic case (in the past I've used tiny ziplock bags, but I switched to plastic boxes). Then that goes into a larger pelican box which goes into my carry-on backpack.

I used to use the manufacturers packaging for unused AA lithium cells. However the airport security guys tend to keep unopened packs of batteries... for security reasons, yeah - that's the ticket! They don't bat an eye if the cells are in my own packaging.

I've had trouble trying to buy batteries even at larger destinations like Roatan and Cozumel, so I bring everything I think I might need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom