How much of a factor is age in scuba deaths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:thumb: dream is to go out doing both at the same time.
Looking back, I think I actually tried to do both at the same time. I was unsuccessful. I guess I was too young.

Cheers -

Looking back, I think I actually tried to do both at the same time. I was unsuccessful. I guess I was too young.

Cheers -

Plan is...if I'm not married or the wife went before me is to make sure there is enough of a age Gap to give it a good go. Shrug

Best line I ever heard was:
I want to die in bed at the age of 90, with the young wife of a jealous husband, being shot to death by by him.

Michael

A male, fit, in his middle fifties died on a club trip a few year's ago. It was the first since the club was formed in the early sixties. It was an easy, cold water dive and he was at the safety stop when his cardiac arrhythmia occurred. The pathologist was of the view that it was not dive related as such and it could have occurred at any time. The chances of serious cardiovascular and cardiac disease do increase with age, but surely you get your body weight sorted, don't smoke, do flexibility, aerobic and strength work you can minimise the risk. You simply adapt the type of diving that you do and use your brain.

Certainly age can be a factor... after all, younger males are often more "adventurous" and less cautious than us old geezers!

"On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."

-Chuck Palahniuk

Forgive me for not reading the entire thread, but for me, it's time to hang it up when I'm no longer doing the rescues, but when I'm the one being rescued.

As for health issues: if someone has a aneurysm while diving it's a dive-related incident. If they have one while watching TV it is not a TV-related incident. Just saying.

As for health issues: if someone has a aneurysm while diving it's a dive-related incident. If they have one while watching TV it is not a TV-related incident. Just saying.
An often seen argument, but how do you rule out the possibility that scuba caused the medical issue. Scuba is challenging at times, pressure changes, etc. Lots of guesses.

An often seen argument, but how do you rule out the possibility that scuba caused the medical issue. Scuba is challenging at times, pressure changes, etc. Lots of guesses.
And gases. In time age will always be THE contributing factor to death. As was stated earlier "On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero. -Chuck Palahniuk" :)

Cheers -

A male, fit, in his middle fifties died on a club trip a few year's ago. It was the first since the club was formed in the early sixties. It was an easy, cold water dive and he was at the safety stop when his cardiac arrhythmia occurred. The pathologist was of the view that it was not dive related as such and it could have occurred at any time. The chances of serious cardiovascular and cardiac disease do increase with age, but surely you get your body weight sorted, don't smoke, do flexibility, aerobic and strength work you can minimise the risk. You simply adapt the type of diving that you do and use your brain.

I was on a dive a few years ago where this exact thing happened. The autopsy confirmed he was a ticking time bomb. Also, he was a (not to label) vacation diver, and it was his first time in cold, current, almost zero vis water. Maybe some anxiety developed which triggered it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom