How much of a factor is age in scuba deaths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are all going to die from something. At 69, I am looking to get my Open Water , Reactivated. I am in good health - not as fit as some 69'ers but I still move and go and do.
Think I will stop at 90 or 100 - but then , Maybe not.

We are all going to die from something. At 69, I am looking to get my Open Water , Reactivated. I am in good health - not as fit as some 69'ers but I still move and go and do.
Think I will stop at 90 or 100 - but then , Maybe not.

As noted above, I'm not going to stop until I can't mow my lawn anymore.

An often seen argument, but how do you rule out the possibility that scuba caused the medical issue. Scuba is challenging at times, pressure changes, etc. Lots of guesses.

I certainly do not deny that doing the scuba can cause or contribute to certain kinds of issues, I'm just saying that sometimes the individual might have died no matter where they were or what they were doing but it's treated differently simply because they were scuba diving. Personally, at age 66, I have become more conservative with the NDL times, take longer safety stops, skip diving the first day after I arrive after a long day of traveling, make sure I'm hydrated, etc because I believe my age IS a factor. I consider myself very fortunate that after 50 years of diving I can still do it so I don't "push my luck." I'm happy to float around and video the fishes on the unchallenging dives but at the same time I try to keep myself in good enough shape to handle an urgent situation. I was hoping I was past those days but only a few days ago something came up and fortunately I was able to prevent a catastrophe which is what I meant by "no longer being able to do the rescue." This situation re-affirmed what I was thinking and demonstrated that I'm not quite over-the-hill yet :wink:

Once you turn 80 you're 100% safe.

Back
Top Bottom