How "much" of air consumption is physiology? How to improve consumption?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of previous answers did already point in the correct direction for minimizing air consumption: buoyancy control, perfectly horizontal asset for minimizing friction when moving ahead, minimal and streamlined equipment again for reducing friction, keeping a calm and relaxed state of mind, and control the way you are breathing.
I would add something on the last point: getting full control on how you are breathing is common practice in some disciplines such as Yoga. In my case, the most effective (and safe) way of controlling my breath was to leverage on these three factors:
1) for any respiratory cycle, there is a volume of air which really changes in your lungs, and another volume of air which simply goes up and down your trachea, without even reaching the lungs. This is called the "dead space" of your system, while the volume of air really replaced in the lungs is called the "live space". The sum of the two is your total volume. If you make many short inspirations and expirations, you are using only a fraction of your live space, while instead at every cycle you always deplete entirely the dead space. This means that for getting the same amount of fresh air to your lungs, you are wasting a significant amount of air which simply does not reach them, as it simply goes down and up and is exhaled without giving you oxygen, nor removing CO2. So it is better to make a smaller number of deeper inspirations and expirations (the latter being even more important), trying to maximize the ratio between employed live space and dead space. Most people instead think that using the whole live space will results in more air consumption, and for "saving air" they use a very shallow inspiration/expiration, resulting in very inefficient exhange of gas in your lungs...
2) Your lungs exchange gases more efficiently when fully expanded, as this maximizes the surface of contact between blood and air. So, instead of adopting a respiratory cycle with a perfectly sinusoidal time signature, it is better to modify the "duty cycle", staying more time with lungs full or almost full, and as short time as possible with depleted lungs. In practice this can be accomplished slowing down when the lungs are almost full, and speeding up when they are almost empty. Some people make a true full respiratory pause with lungs full of air, typically around 5s, before exhaling. This practice is discouraged by most instructors, as it can be dangerous for inexperienced divers: staying in apnea increases the risk of a rapid ascent without exhaling, causing pulmonary barothrauma and consequent emboly. But as the diver is more expert and the risk of an uncontrolled ascent without exhaling goes to zero, practicing a short inspiratory pause (never more than 5s and reduced when the work load increases) can reduce greatly air consumption, and improves the overall capability of removing CO2 from lungs, as they are 100% efficient for a larger fraction of the respiratory cycle. Reducing CO2 accumulation is very important for reducing narcosis effects at depth, and for reducing the risk of loosing control of your respiration under heavy work load (as swimming against current).
3) carefully tune the knob of your regulator for giving you exactly the proper amount of air, without wasting any. I use very old Scubapro 108 and 156 second stages, which have a knob giving you great control on the depression needed for making them free-flowing. With the knob all out, the regulator will freeflow as hell, just facing down or swimming, as these regulators, when correctly serviced, can open the flow with a very minimal depression, less than 1cm of water column. So you need to close the knob "just enough" for avoiding free-flowing, which of course causes significant air consumption.

All this said, I never managed to reach the incredibly small air consumption of my wife. Albeit we are almost the same size (she is 1.73, I am 1.75 m, and both weight almost the same), she is using consistently 30% less air than me...
So yes, constitution plays a big role, and is not just matter of size or weight (as in our cases these are almost the same), it is about how she moves in water (she seems a siren, I look like a pig), and particularly on details of the pulmonary system (my wife has a total capacity of 5 liters with 0.8 liters of dead volume, I am around 6 liters, but with around 1.5 liter of dead volume: so the live volume is almost the same, but my dead volume is twice as her, and hence the efficiency of my pulmonary system is much worst).

Mr. Farina has several great points, but the suggestion of a habitual 5 second pause, even with disclaimers, is troubling. Instead, I suggest beginning your exhale immediately after installing, but do it very slowly. The bubbles should be dribbling out. With deep breaths from the diaphragm, you can easily get down to 5 breaths per minute while slowly finning.

My RMV has been the same for decades, right around 0.7 cfm in dry suit & tech gear (0.55 cfm in 3 mm shorty & recreational gear).

I'm fit (weekly multiple cardio sessions of an hour plus), I'm lean (< 12% bf), my resting heart rate is less than 50, and I'm very comfortable in the water. I've done the breathing management (martial arts, yoga). My breathing rate is about 6 breaths per minute (resting or walking/finning slowly). Nothing moves the needle. Nothing. Working against me, I'm tall and live at altitude.

I've come to the (frustrated & bitter) conclusion that some people just have a larger than average tidal volume and have to live with that particular burden.

Finally, if you try to limit your breathing you may build up CO2 which is what causes us to have to breathe. Our instinct to breath isn't because we need oxygen, it's because the build up of CO2 causes us to hurt from a build up of acids in our blood. It is the PH that makes us breathe. Limiting our breathing builds up CO2 and getting rid of the build up causes us to breathe more and the gain is lost. This is why it is suggested that we breathe slowly and deeply. Your goal is to efficiently collect CO2 out of your blood and exhale it. Shallow breathing is fine on shore but inefficient while diving as Scubadada eluded to in his excellent post.

@Compressor @rsingler did I get my description of breathing mechanisms correct? I always like to confirm my understanding with experts and these are two of the most knowledgeable on the board, being anesthesiologists by trade and being highly experienced divers.

@RayfromTX : You are correct. Sorry for the late reply but I was diving last week in Bonaire and away from the keyboard.
CO2 is a by product of metabolism. The harder your work, the more you produce CO2. The CO2 in our bodies is exhaled by breathing and is tightly controlled by receptors in the brain stem AND the carotid bodies. Oxygen is controlled by carotid bodies as well and a fall in the body's oxygen level causes excitation of nerves to send strong signals to the brainstem as well to stimulated breathing. These chemoreceptors were originally thought to be on the ventral (front) part of the medulla (brainstem) but are now thought to be even more widely distrubuted. For those medically inclined they are:

1. ventrolateral medulla
2. nuclues of solitarty tract
3. locus cereleus
4. central medullar raphe
and
5. Fastigial nuclesus of the cerebellus

It is CO2 and perhaps pH (or both as far as I know) that causes activation. Hedging since its not so much blood pH that causes an issue but CSF (cerebrospinal fluid pH) that causes changes in central chemoreceptors. Too much C02 causes acidosis. Too much C02 can because my many factors both respiratory (eg: skip breathing, holding breath...) and metabolic (eg; working hard underwater).

Finally C02 is a contributing cause for DCI. I don't think anything good comes out of retaining C02.

Bottom line: Don't retain C02.

Hope this helps.

Mr. Farina has several great points, but the suggestion of a habitual 5 second pause, even with disclaimers, is troubling. Instead, I suggest beginning your exhale immediately after installing, but do it very slowly. The bubbles should be dribbling out. With deep breaths from the diaphragm, you can easily get down to 5 breaths per minute while slowly finning.
I know that holding the breath is a practice currently severely discouraged, and employed only by Navy Seals, COMSUBIN, or the like... And typically because they use pure-oxygen rebreathers (ARO)...
In fact I suggested simply to modify the duty cycle, making air flow very slow when the lungs are full, or close to it, and instead making the flow fast when lungs are (almost) empty. This results in a continuous flow, but spending most of the time with lungs extended to nearly maximum exchange surface.
This minimizes CO2 retention for a given air consumption, maxing lung ventilation more efficient and having the largest possible surface of contact between blood and gas.
The opposite is using a fast, light cycle, which is highly inefficient: requires much more muscular power (which produces CO2), and most of the work done just vents the trachea, not the lungs.
Regarding me, I am currently around 13 liters/minute, which means 3 full respiratory cycles per minutes. Very, very slow breathing, but always using full capacity, with a strongly asymmetrical flow rate, and making the deprecated 5s pause.
My wife is around 10 liters/minute.These values slowly descended while aging, 30 years ago I was around 15 liters/minute and my wife was 11-12.
Sorry, I cannot convert easily these figures to your crap not-SI units...

How "much" of air consumption is physiology?

I'm gonna ballpark it. :)

10% physiology
90% diving technique, skill, etc.

As for how to improve, the thing I found most helpful is to simply stop moving around so much.

From what I have seen, you can and likely will improve your consumption over time as you become more comfortable and skilled as a diver. This doesn't mean you will ever be able to change your genetics or physiology. Some people are just air sippers. Our bodies ability to move oxygen into the blood and CO2 out of the blood has a definite physiological component and I believe genetics play a major role. There are cyclist friends of mine that can never train enough to overcome the natural advantages I have due to my superior genetically influenced cardiovascular system. There are divers that suffer or benefit from the same types of differences. Improvements will be made in a predetermined range and that range will vary by individual. It is what it is. I'll ballpark it at 50% / 50%.

I'm gonna ballpark it. :)

10% physiology
90% diving technique, skill, etc.

As for how to improve, the thing I found most helpful is to simply stop moving around so much.

Agreed...

I think there is a component of skill that’s mental though...

Things like anticipating your next movement, charting your course thru the water, not fighting the water by using unnecessary power and reduction of unnecessary movement: hand swimming and constantly making large re-adjustments to buoyancy. Dial in buoyancy quickly and make slight adjustments proactively to keep it there.

Back
Top Bottom