How much weight in COLD water?

Women, how much weight do you use in cold salt water?

• more than 34 lbs.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • 33-34 lbs.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 32-33 lbs.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • 30-31 lbs.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • 28-29 lbs.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • 26-27 lbs.

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • 24-25 lbs.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • 22-23 lbs.

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • 20-21 lbs.

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • less than 20 lbs.

Votes: 8 25.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shadow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I would like to limit this poll to cold saltwater diving, please. There is just too much difference in weight to take a poll on warm, cold, fresh and salt at the same time.

I am 5'4'' and 123 lbs. I use a trilaminate drysuit, and stretch fleece undergarments (total 400 g). With an AL80, I need about 30 lbs. I think I'm over-weighted, but I have less bone density than most people, so maybe I need that much. I hope to reduce this weight, with practice and with a steel tank.

In a 7 mm full wetsuit, with another 7 mm shortie on top, I needed 28 lbs on my OW course.

I am wondering how much weight other women need. Please also mention what your suit is made of, what kind of tank you use, and any other info. Thanks!

:hmmm: :cold:

Shadow,

If I am using an Aluminum 80, I wear 40 lbs. I dive with a neoprene drysuit (or at least I did, until it was stolen last weekend...but that's another story.) When I use a steel tank, I take off about 5 lbs. I wear fleece underneath my drysuit, but I don't know their particular weight/density characteristics. I am a little shorter than you AND weigh a little more, so I am guessing that I have a higher body-fat percentage than you do, which probably explains why I need more weight, along with the fact that my suit is neoprene. Other women divers I know wear 30-40 lbs in cold salt water with drysuits. I'm not sure about what they wear with 7mm wetsuits, though. In addition to using a steel tank, using a bcd with a steel backplate can also help get weight off of your belt.

Hope this helps,
otter-cat:)

I wear a 7 mil neoprene wetsuit, usually use a 80 aluminum tank and when I dove a couple weekends ago I used 36 lbs. but felt slightly overweighted. I'm hoping to try a steel tank soon to see how much more weight I can ditch.
Good luck
Lisa

When I wear a 7mm jane/jacket with hood and gloves I usually use about 23 lbs while using and AL 80 tank. I am 5ft tall and 120lbs but very "solidly built" as my mother would say. I even tend to sink naturally when I am just swimming in fresh water so it doesn't take much to make me negative.

I highly recommend that you take a look at steel tanks and check their bouyancy characteristics. With my hp steel tank (72?), I only need about 14-16 lbs of lead (will check logbook- I have been trading off tanks recently). I am the same size as you and use a Zeagle (made by Otter in the UK) trilaminate suit. I think with an aluminum tank, I'd be using about 26 lbs...hard to haul around on land.

It's interesting to see how much variation there is in the amount of weight people use.

Does anyone think that the BC makes much difference in how much weight you need? This is assuming the BC is not a steel backplate. I just tried a Zeagle Ranger on the weekend (courtesy of Uncle Pug), with 29 pounds, and dropped like a rock! I thought I was somewhat heavy before, but I sure didn't drop like that with my Beauchat vest. Some vests are inherently more buoyant than others, and you end up needing more weight to compensate for the compensator!

Kelpmermaid, what kind of BC do you use? How about other members?

i use 26 with my crushed neoprene drysuit and 20 with 7mm combo w/s. I am 5.7 and about 130 lb. AL80 tank

Now i wonder, how much would i have to add for salt water - anyone with that experience?

Vlada

Shadow, I have a Sea Quest Libra - back inflation. It has pouches for integrated weights which I usually use despite mixed feelings.

Thinking about it, I think I once figured that the steel tank I have is about 10 lbs less lead - it is 6 lbs negative empty.

I am 5'8", 210lb (Think Oprah between diets) & wear a 5mm 1-pc with fleece triolifin undersuit, hood, 5mm gloves & thick boots. I have an AL63. I wear a belt with 23 lbs of soft weights. I DO think BCs make a difference. If the Ranger is good for you, your experience is different than mine. Mine trapped air. I am better off now with the bare simplicity of my Aqualung Wave (it's so non-tech, it's nerdy).

I have tried both sizes of tanks, and have not noticed that it affected the amount of weight I needed at all. But I certainly liked the smaller tank much more - AL80 ends below where my rear ends! I tried a steel 96, and was still too heavy with only 22 pounds rather than usual 30. I'd like to try a steel 72/3000 psi tank.

22/23 pounds sounds like a manageable amount. It sure is interesting to see how much it varies between people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom