How much weight is required for BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buds

Registered
Reaction score
Hey All..

For the past 3 weekends I have been testing my new BP/W rig..
Im getting used to the free feeling However i have one concern..

How does one determine how much weight to use in a BP/W configuration..??

Im 5 9 167 lbs..
6lb OMS SS Backplate
OMS STA
Dui 50/50 flex Dry Suit
30lb oxycheq standard wing
Dir configured 1st and 2nd stages
Brass Spg
Alum 80

I can hover in the pool say as little as 3ft to 10 ft only after Wing and Drysuit are completely empty and NOT touch the bottom if i breath properly ( which is really cool) ....But it still feels as if im Wayyy to light....... and my feet tend to rise abit

Im thinking i need more weight , especially on Ocean Dives.. ( im building another Rig just for Salt water DSS SS BackPlate ,Steel Lp85.)

Am I subconciously using my old BC knowlegde from using my Ranger before I went BP/W??

Is there some kind of mental Conflict going on here??

Do I yearn for my ranger set up??.. LOL

Any advice or related experience would greatly be appreciated... sorry if this topic has be discussed before ,, if so point me to those threads.

ROB

you need to weigh yourself to be neutral or slightly negative at the surface,
with a near-empty tank (say 500 psi) and no air in your wing.

alternatively, weigh yourself for the same configuration and able to hold a hover
at 10 and 5 feet for as long as you want to.

that way, you will be able to control your ascent at all times.

also, it will feel "light" if you are used to being overweighted.

also, make sure you are aware of your breathing. at that depth, your lungs
are going to have a huge effect on your bouyancy when you inhale and exhale.

buds:
Hey All..

For the past 3 weekends I have been testing my new BP/W rig..
Im getting used to the free feeling However i have one concern..

How does one determine how much weight to use in a BP/W configuration..??

Im 5 9 167 lbs..
6lb OMS SS Backplate
OMS STA
Dui 50/50 flex Dry Suit
30lb oxycheq standard wing
Dir configured 1st and 2nd stages
Brass Spg
Alum 80

I can hover in the pool say as little as 3ft to 10 ft only after Wing and Drysuit are completely empty and NOT touch the bottom if i breath properly ( which is really cool) ....But it still feels as if im Wayyy to light....... and my feet tend to rise abit

Im thinking i need more weight , especially on Ocean Dives.. ( im building another Rig just for Salt water DSS SS BackPlate ,Steel Lp85.)

Am I subconciously using my old BC knowlegde from using my Ranger before I went BP/W??

Is there some kind of mental Conflict going on here??

Do I yearn for my ranger set up??.. LOL

Any advice or related experience would greatly be appreciated... sorry if this topic has be discussed before ,, if so point me to those threads.

ROB

Rob,

Sounds like you're there. I have three BP/W combo. Two with plastic plates and 40 lb wings for single 100 and 120 HP steel tanks. My doubles setup is a DR SS with a 55 lb classic wing.

If you feel your feet floating too much try extending your arms in front of you and putting your fingers together like you're flying and arch your back. This should cause your feey to go down and get you in a good horizontial position. If you're having to fight it too much try using a different pair of fins. Get a pair that are negative. My Scuba Pro Black Twin Jets are ideal when I'm in my drysuit and keep my feet in proper position. When I'm diving with just a 3mm suit I wear a pair of SP blue Twin Jets that float.

Another idea for the floaty feet is to examine where your tank is positioned. I use steel singles and find that I have to put the top cam strap just below the crown of the tank so as not to be head heavy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom