How often do you check up on your buddy during a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's left is whatever your instructor taught you to do when your buddy needs assistance. As the major example I can think of, I was taught how to donate a reg if there is an out-of-air emergency. I wasn't taught how the buddy system can help with a heart attack, so I wouldn't consider that as a factor in using the buddy system. The bottom line is that if you're diving under the buddy system, you stay however close you believe you need to be, and keep however close an eye on your buddy you believe is needed, to do the things you were trained to do for your buddy "in time," and your buddy does the same.

Your failure to monitor your SPG does not constitute an emergency on my part. I can think of very small number of scenarios in which one would "suddenly" run OOG and if that happens they can do a CESA as taught in the class, practiced in the pool, and performed on the exam dive.

Anything else?

Your failure to monitor your SPG does not constitute an emergency on my part. . . .

I completely agree! No one should run "out of air" because they failed to monitor their gas. And a major reg failure that quickly depletes one's gas is incredibly rare. However, when we were taught the buddy system, it was based on a presumption that a buddy might run out of air for whatever reason, and we were taught that the buddy system is intended to address at least that "emergency" if not others. If I recall, we were taught a CESA is to be used only as a last resort, after failure of the buddy system.

As always, it depends.

I always carry full solo diving redundancy and treat every dive much like it as far as I am concerned, so if I am paired with one buddy, I am happy to be behind a bit to spot issues happening in front of me. If I lead the way because a buddy has less local knowledge, I do check a couple times a minute, mostly to signal direction or point at things anyway. I do check on their air at least once to avoid surprises, if I think there could be a risk associated.

With our usually decent vis, there is no 'at arms length' happening anywhere. If I go boat diving where the group moves within eyeshot in multiple buddy pairs, I tend to care for my buddy by about as much as I think he or she cares about me.

If an insta-buddy behaves like an idiot, that is his/her risk and I am not keen on it becoming mine. If my buddy ascends rapidly and disappears over a ledge frantically chasing a shark, I will follow slowly or stay put for a bit. I imagine an elastic thread between myself and my buddy, it is stretched as much or as little as their actions relate to my comfort zone.

I try to lead by example and make sure we understand each other's octo procedure, releases, etc. before jumping in, but it is actually rarely even cared for on most dive boats here.
Agree. You just "do your best" with the buddy.

If someone is inadvertently not being a "good buddy" because they need to improve, that's one thing. But intentionally not trying to adhere to what @Jim Lapenta described is not adhering to the buddy system. An insta-buddy who doesn't plan to stay with you isn't a buddy at all--he's a solo diver masquerading as a buddy so that the boat allows him to dive.
Again, agree here. You just do your best with the hand you're dealt. I've been lucky on most of my boat dives in not winding up with a really poor buddy.

Fortunately I haven't had any instabuddies yet.
My usual buddy is my Girlfriend, my favorite position is where I don't have to check on her. She holds a hand that i leave trailing. I can squeeze to get her attention, and vice versa.
If we don't have touch contact then I check every minute ish, more if vis us low.

I completely agree! No one should run "out of air" because they failed to monitor their gas. And a major reg failure that quickly depletes one's gas is incredibly rare. However, when we were taught the buddy system, it was based on a presumption that a buddy might run out of air for whatever reason, and we were taught that the buddy system is intended to address at least that "emergency" if not others. If I recall, we were taught a CESA is to be used only as a last resort, after failure of the buddy system.

CESA is potentially more risky than sharing air, no more and no less. But I think "buddy system" is getting conflated with sharing air drills: if you're in trouble you can't get out of on your own, your best chance of making it is your buddy. Running out of air in 20-ish metres of open water is not that kind of trouble.

E.g. getting wrapped in a fishing net so you can't reach your calf to which your shiny! adamntium BFK is strapped to, is.

Fortunately I haven't had any instabuddies yet.
My usual buddy is my Girlfriend, my favorite position is where I don't have to check on her. She holds a hand that i leave trailing. I can squeeze to get her attention, and vice versa.
If we don't have touch contact then I check every minute ish, more if vis us low.
Perfect situation since you don't mind being always connected.

CESA is potentially more risky than sharing air, no more and no less. But I think "buddy system" is getting conflated with sharing air drills: if you're in trouble you can't get out of on your own, your best chance of making it is your buddy. Running out of air in 20-ish metres of open water is not that kind of trouble.

E.g. getting wrapped in a fishing net so you can't reach your calf to which your shiny! adamntium BFK is strapped to, is.
Think I agree. I would think CESA could create problems if some air did get stuck in a nook somewhere in the lungs and couldn't escape when expanding. Plus the obvious--an inexperienced diver holds breath or does something else wrong.
Air share with buddy at 20m could be a problem with an inexperienced buddy who may panic, so your safety may depend on someone else.
Agree--Trapped in a fishing net without access to cutting tool means you better have a buddy.

I agree but I have seen many more cases of leaking hoses that the diver may not be aware of. A) Their buddy should have been there to make them aware and B) they should still check their spg, but if they are used to their air consumption being x at a certain depth they may not be paying the attention they should if there is a leaking connection.

I think like many things how often and where/when you check on a buddy is circumstantial.

I try to stay with my buddy, but naturally if they no a site better you end up lagging as you are waiting for them to show the way

I find if I am designated lead I check more regularly. If I am with a new buddy I check often, with a familiar one less often. If they look different or uncomfortable more often again.

Checking here means OK ing, that’s different to glancing at them, that’s much more regular!

On checking if pre-Dive we’ve decided I’m the gas limit (e.g 2x12s vs. 1x12) I won’t necessarily ask them to check their gas but will tell them before hand that I’ll let them know at 50% pressure, 100bar, 10bar before I need to leave the bottom, and when I need to go + thumb. This seems to work.

If you don't use all your gas, have you really gotten your money's worth out of the dive? :popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom