How often do you need a 400ft primary reel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I picked up a 400ft classic reel, saw one of CL. I also have a bunch of REMs, because apparently those are common in Mexico. Going to need a Mexico navigation primer when I arrive.

As far as the ocean, the last time I went ocean diving it didn't turn out too well. :vomit:

We will see how the final weekend of my AN/Helitrox course turns out next weekend.
navigation in Mexico isn’t that much different than what you should have been taught in Florida. The same rules apply, but there are definitely more t’s, close jump lines, and multiple exits. But what you learn in Florida shouldn’t be that much different. As for rems, they’re all I use in Florida and mex. they can act as a cookie or an arrow for the person placing them. Just remember limit (aka don’t use) arrow use so it doesn’t oppose the main arrows.

or you use the knotted line purchase as an excuse for a trip to Mexico. At ZeroGravity they have a "line knotting machine" and sell pre-knotted line at a reasonable price :wink: Let me know if this reasoning works for any of you to convince their better half why the Mexico cave diving trip is an economically sound proposition :D

You're preachin to the choir, man!

--

Here's a good video on how to knot the line- although I've never tried it myself, I enjoyed watching the video:
that's nearly idential to my method, I actually just made a new one at the shop yesterday. I don't run it in to a bucket though, I spool it on to another reel or on top of an unopened spool of line around the outside so when reeling it on to another reel to keep it from getting tangled/knotted

I used a 200 ft primary in mexico for about 40 dives or so until I ran out of line once looking for the mainline, I think at nohoch. Now I have a 400 ft and a 200 ft, both LM, and actually it's kind of nice to have both. The smaller primary is an excellent reel for long jumps, like the 2nd jump to chinese garden at Taj. If I was buying my first primary now for sure I'd get the 400 ft because it's only $15 more and it's not too much bigger.

I used a 200 ft primary in mexico for about 40 dives or so until I ran out of line once looking for the mainline, I think at nohoch. Now I have a 400 ft and a 200 ft, both LM, and actually it's kind of nice to have both. The smaller primary is an excellent reel for long jumps, like the 2nd jump to chinese garden at Taj. If I was buying my first primary now for sure I'd get the 400 ft because it's only $15 more and it's not too much bigger.

Exactly how I feel. I actually couldn't imagine having a 200 and 400 ft reel. Sometimes the 200 is perfect sometimes it's not enough. The nice thing about the 200 is for long jumps you don't really notice it hanging on your butt like a 400. Chinese gardens is definitely a good example.

Ended up not needing it, Roger ran all the reels and spools. But he certainly needed it for our dives in Carwash's downstream passages.

Roger ran all the reels and spools. But he certainly needed it for our dives in Carwash's downstream passages.

Sighs
I dont like this way of "guiding" at all. But everyone is different

Sighs
Out of sheer curiosity can I ask why? Is it due to the lack of active participation in navigation?

Sighs

For my first trip I don't think it was horrible, I always examined the jump to ensure that I could navigate it blind and in one case I added my own marker. Like when we jumped onto the mainline, I added a cookie to our jump line so I could ensure that I could navigate the way we came. The mainline might have been a shorter route, but I didn't know, I did know that I would have enough air to follow the jump line.

That being said Mexico doesn't make navigation easy. No distance arrows, hard to get maps, and nothing being named in newer caves. That makes life very difficult unless you hire a guide and then progressively learn the cave.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom