How Old Are "Regulator Savvy" or "Regulator Maintenance and Repair"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cawoodchuck

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have read a lot of reviews about these books but the reviews themselves are pretty old. Do either of these books contain information on current regulator models and technology? I don't want to purchase something that has mostly out dated information in them. Thank you in advance for your time and feedback.

--Chuck

current regulator models don't really function much differently. most are just versions of the conshelf xiv or scubapro mk10/156 with more plastic. the poseidon jetstream is still the same design nearly, only the mk3 first stage is different.

Regulator Savvy was copyrighted in 2003 and Vance Harlow's in 1999. I really don't think there have been any significant changes to regulator fundamentals since then. Individual models will have their own specific service manuals which, for the most part, can be found online. Both are great books.

Vance Harlow is written in very practical terms, and some technological changes make it slightly less topical than it once was.
Regulator Savvy, on the other hand, delves deep into the "why" of regulator function. Since as noted above, the physics haven't changed, the book remains completely relevant. And as also commented on already, most of the designs are variations on previous models, which again reinforces Regulator Savvy's relevance.
Get the loose leaf version, so you can make copies of certain pictures as you start your DIY adventure, without getting Christolube and vinegar on the expensive pages.

............... Get the loose leaf version, so you can make copies of certain pictures as you start your DIY adventure, without getting Christolube and vinegar on the expensive pages.

That sound like the voice of experience.....and great advise. :)

To restate what others have already said, Reg Savvy addresses what I would call the basic or generic reg designs. The diagrams are simplified and don't reflect a lot of design details. What changes over the years are mostly just details--bells and whistles each manufacturer adds to make a generic reg design their own brand. The basic designs have worked the same way for decades.

Hi Chuck,

Welcome to Scubaboard.

Ditto to all of the above. Additionally, if you have a specific regulator in mind you may very well find diagrams and service manuals at http://www.frogkick.dk/manuals/ to round out your library.

Please join us in the Do It Yourself - DIY section of SB

Couv

Back
Top Bottom