• 51 - 60

Votes: 86 28.0%
  • 61 - 70

Votes: 36 11.7%
  • Dusty

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems older divers who began diving and diving solo at a young age have a different view on solo and the equipment required because most of the equipment configurations pitched to day as being absolutely necessary for solo didn't exist back then.

It seems older divers who began diving and diving solo at a young age have a different view on solo and the equipment required because most of the equipment configurations pitched to day as being absolutely necessary for solo didn't exist back then.

Another different view was that no one was thought it odd that you would dive solo. May be it was that they thought you crazy for diving at all, and that covered solo. I did not run into anything negative about solo untill the late '70's or early '80's and then it was around new divers, and some instructors and dive shops.

And as for carrying a bunch of extra gear to make you a good solo diver. I'll have to see how that works out.

I learned how to SCUBA dive in '63 and, for quite a while, the only time I had a buddy was when were practicing buddy breathing on the double hose.

Bob
-----------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Another different view was that no one was thought it odd that you would dive solo. May be it was that they thought you crazy for diving at all, and that covered solo. I did not run into anything negative about solo untill the late '70's or early '80's and then it was around new divers, and some instructors and dive shops.

And as for carrying a bunch of extra gear to make you a good solo diver. I'll have to see how that works out.

I learned how to SCUBA dive in '63 and, for quite a while, the only time I had a buddy was when were practicing buddy breathing on the double hose.

Bob
-----------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

I think lots of people are backseat drivers nowadays and make negative or ambiguous comments based on either hear say and goggled or 3rd party info- whereas people used to be more reserve, observant, asking pertinent questions about your diving respectfully, hoping to get an honest answer and not being perceived as being rude in doing so.
Seems fashionable to be rude to your elders these days.
Damo

I started solo diving shortly after I began hiring myself out as a diver. Cleaning boat bottoms, placing buoys around swimming areas, search and recovery. I figured if I can dive alone for $$ I can do it for pleasure. Circa 1970.

I've retired from dive guiding after I turned sixty. The hard thing is paying for dives & compensating for the B/S on dayboats. This leads me to solo diving in order to be a satisfied customer...

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

Seems fashionable to be rude to your elders these days.
Damo

Dude, where are you coming from? Not trying to rag on you, but "Elders?" Really?

IMO, every diver has to carry his or her weight and prove himself on every dive. "Respect of your elders" is something you give to the guys giving the lectures or writing books, as most have grey hair and seldom get wet anymore.

Younger divers have every right to be suspect of us older divers. Most older divers are out-of-shape, don't dive on a regular basis, are too cheap to keep their gear updated and upgraded, cut corners, and BS more than they dive. I don't respect them and don't see why they deserve anybody else's respect, least of all because of their age. (For those of us who don't fit that profile, my hat's off!)

If you want to sit around with newer divers and tell them about the great dives you did back then, go for it. But understand that they see you just as an "old guy," just like you see any other "old" guy who's trying to relive his past. However, put on your tanks and dive with them and you will earn their respect.

I'm betting that I'm older than most, and still doing as many solo dives off boats and in caves as I can. My rebreather has given me the freedom to spend all day in the caves, and the heated vest + dry gloves have given me the freedom to spend much longer on the bottom with a wreck. When I come out of a cave hours after I went in, or climb back on the boat when everyone is going in for their second dive (or coming up with them and they're on their second dive), I think the younger divers take note. I can see a difference in their attitudes, in their wanting to include me in their converstations all of a sudden, and in the questions they are now asking because now they want to learn from me. I don't dive ths way to earn their respect; I do it because that's the way I enjoy diving.

So we have to earn the respect of younger divers in the same way they have to earn our's. That's the way it is, and should be, IMO.

Reactions: Ana
Younger divers have every right to be suspect of us older divers. Most older divers are out-of-shape, don't dive on a regular basis, are too cheap to keep their gear updated and upgraded, cut corners, and BS more than they dive. I don't respect them and don't see why they deserve anybody else's respect, least of all because of their age. (For those of us who don't fit that profile, my hat's off!)

I don't know where the h... you've been diving but the most out of shape divers I run into are mostly under thirty, are overweight, smoke and drink whilst diving.

Most of 60+ divers I see appear to be in better shape.

Dale

The ocean was right there, and I wanted to dive!! Simple as that.
I hear you. (Although "lake" is more appropriate in my case.) Tonight is a perfect example. My friends are out at pubs and the like and I just got back from a nice night dive on my favorite little wreck, the Arabia. For those that don't know her, she's a pretty old barque, sunk in 1884, and three miles from my front door here in Tobermory. Mrs. Stoo nursed a bottle of wine until I got back up, then I helped her with it. (Followed by a B52 coffee and the new Crowsnest to help her warm up. It's starting to cool off up here already. The air is only about 68F tonight.

So with all of these threads about health and dying (not necessarily in the solo forum) I started to sense that we solo types tend to be older than the average SCUBEE diver. Perhaps solo comes about as an evolutionary thing... Buddy's stop diving, or perhaps we just don't give a rat's a$$ about what people think about us...

So time for another poll! How old are you?

61 and not yet legal. Crap, wasn't that supposed to be 16!!!!

58 and dive solo when given a choice.

Only started solo diving in '95 when my photography took on a more serious note.

Back
Top Bottom